Garlic-Roasted Chicken with fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Hi everyone. I grilled some chicken and made some fries to go with it last night. Thought I might post it for you today.

I de-boned the breasts from two whole chickens and then fried them skin side down in a cast iron pan with some olive oil on the grill. After the skin browned they were turned over and two whole cloves of garlic and four sprigs of rosemary were added. The pan was then placed on indirect heat until the breasts were cooked through.

Once they were finished, I placed each breast on a toasted slice of sour dough french bread. Two tablespoons of white wine vinegar was added to the pan and I mixed it up with the juices from the chicken, the garlic and the rosemary. After the liquid was reduced a bit, it was poured over the chicken breasts that were sitting on the toasted bread.

The fries were cooked outside on my new Bayou Classic high pressure propane burner. Three quarts of vegi oil at 350 degrees then I added the cut potatoes.

Looks great ! Nice fresh ingredients :)

Did you do the fries twice? I do mine once for just a few minutes at 325, rest, then hit em again at 380. Don't forget to blanch the starch out of em before. ;)

When I saw the subject I rushed to open it --- Wow it all looks great Lew and super pictures too. Did you get a new Banjo burner or was that already in the arsenal?

ScottyDaQ said:
Looks great ! Nice fresh ingredients :)

Did you do the fries twice? I do mine once for just a few minutes at 325, rest, then hit em again at 380. Don't forget to blanch the starch out of em before. ;)
Hey Scotty, No I didn't. This was actually the first time I did fries, if you can believe that. They didn't get as crisp as I would like. It was probably because I dropped the basket of fries into the oil at 350 and then turned down the burner a bit (dah). They weren't getting brown so I checked the temp and the oil dropped down to about 200 degrees (live and learn). Next time I'm going to take your advise.

bbquzz said:
When I saw the subject I rushed to open it --- Wow it all looks great Lew and super pictures too. Did you get a new Banjo burner or was that already in the arsenal?
Hey bbquzz, the burner is brand new. I just got it the same day I used it. I saw one of Vermin's posts where he was using one for a fish fry and I went nuts. The old eyes went round and round and I was on Amazon within a couple of minutes ordering it. My wife says I cook food so I can buy all the toys. I told her I only do it so I can make her better food. She didn't buy it! My next toy is an electric knife sharpener and it's coming tomorrow. I'll have to keep an eye out for the UPS truck.

Looks mighty yummy. Great job. Not familiar with that brand of yard bird. Guessing it purty good or you wouldn't be using it. Whut be its claim to fame? We got a good unpumped model down here which poses as Sanderson Farms. They are a nasty yeller fat chicken as my old chum Bo Pilgrim would say. Most near all the comp cooks uses them. Think their main orfice or coop or whutever is down in Ole Miss. Now if a person wanted chicken breastes whut be the point of ripping them off whole birds? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looks mighty yummy. Great job. Not familiar with that brand of yard bird. Guessing it purty good or you wouldn't be using it. Whut be its claim to fame? We got a good unpumped model down here which poses as Sanderson Farms. They are a nasty yeller fat chicken as my old chum Bo Pilgrim would say. Most near all the comp cooks uses them. Think their main orfice or coop or whutever is down in Ole Miss. Now if a person wanted chicken breastes whut be the point of ripping them off whole birds? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Thanks.

bigwheel
Foster Farms is mainly a West Coast breeder but they are also in Colorado, Alabama and Arkansas. It's just the basic run of the road grocery store brand of chicken. I bought the whole chicken because it's 99 cents a pound and I have one of those Kiwi brand scary sharp meat cleavers. I like taking my aggression out on the bird. Plus, all the boneless chicken breasts packaged in the store are also skinless. I wanted the skin on. Besides, the whole chicken has all those yummy organs tucked away inside and my dog Boo likes them for dinner. I just got to figure out what to do with the back. Any suggestions besides the obvious? :LOL:

Smokey Lew said:
bbquzz said:
Hey bbquzz, the burner is brand new. I just got it the same day I used it. I saw one of Vermin's posts where he was using one for a fish fry and I went nuts. The old eyes went round and round and I was on Amazon within a couple of minutes ordering it. My wife says I cook food so I can buy all the toys. I told her I only do it so I can make her better food. She didn't buy it! My next toy is an electric knife sharpener and it's coming tomorrow. I'll have to keep an eye out for the UPS truck.

I first saw the burner on one of Sapo's videos and put it on my Amazon wish list. I still have to get some kind of smoker for our summer cottage and then the Banjo burner. Looks like it worked well for you and I'll bet you will have the fries down perfect next cook. You gotta do the fish and chips soon too :D

Well as regards the chicken back and be stating the obvious which you wished to avoid..but that is some folks favorite part when it is fried along with the other parts. My cuz's Granny (his Mama's Mama) would only eat the back out of a fried chicken. She say she liked the back cuz it had the most skin. She was about 5'2 and weighed about 600 if that factoid be helpful in your decision making process. She was also Old Time Assembly of God. She would lay on the couch and listen to the soap operas on TV. It would be sinful to see the pic but it was ok to listen to the show. Tell ya bro..best not jack with the volume control on that deal. She would jump up off that couch and put knuckle bumps on your haid:)

bigwheel

WOW that chicken looks outstanding. Double frying the french fries is the way to go. That one extra step makes a huge difference. I picked up my burner at one of our local swap meets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom