Fried chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
Used Sylvia's chicken batter. Chicken frying on the kettle 7 minutes a side.
img_252094_0_cae2cb621ed1629c483f73bfc1b9a778.jpg

Then placed the chicken indirect for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking.
img_252094_1_29e7d0f07a01a805386572a76276d320.jpg

Chicken fried up along with some hush puppies with some onion and pickled jalapenos added in.
img_252094_2_4b3c09f930e125fa13630d5b230a9ed6.jpg

Another side dish.
img_252094_3_43fa96cba8af7e4bd1089034531f0b82.jpg

Dang V! That's some good stuff. What I like best about your stuff is that you show how you can cook so many great things off the grill + wok. Awesome

Dang V! That's some good stuff. What I like best about your stuff is that you show how you can cook so many great things off the grill + wok. Awesome

I agree. I like trying to cook everything on my pit as well. Question though V, did it actually need the indirect time or you just wanted to do it? Did that change the flavor any from if you had only fried it? Looks delicious.

I agree. I like trying to cook everything on my pit as well. Question though V, did it actually need the indirect time or you just wanted to do it? Did that change the flavor any from if you had only fried it? Looks delicious.

I used the indirect time to save time. Once the chicken looked cooked on the outside I place the chicken indirect to finish cooking and added some more chicken to the oil.

Man, that looks delicious!

One of the things I don't like about frying indoors is cleaning the mess from the grease splattering. Frying on the pit would make cleanup easier and the smell would remain outside too. Do you have any tricks or advice on how to make sure the oil is the right temp so you can fry without starting a grease fire from some splattering catching fire and jumping into the oil?

That chicken do look good man.

I wouldn't want to try cooking like that
on a wooden deck but I would give it a go on concrete or in the yard.

Mighty fine job as usual. Might be enough to make a person want to go raid the hen house or something.

I saw some of their canned goods the other day. Seemed to be trying to pursue Glory for yankee based soul food. Loves my Glory Field Peas with snaps..tastes just like Aunt Jehmima just cooked it fresh. Now their collared greens tastes like they got canned with a stink bug sometimes. Is that the way collards or supposed to taste maybe? Real Texas folks thought they was pizzen for some reason. Must be the stink bug flavor. Hey Vermin ever tried it vice a vesa? As in imparting some smoke..cooling it off and starting over with the frying. This has been turned into a high art form on Turkey lurkeys. I know the two drunks who claimed to have invented the procedure as pertains to chickens..but I dont think they used any breading. Might be a different animul on that.

I have tried smoking wings then frying them up with no breading on them but not on any other pieces/parts. The trick with the Glory Fields collard greens is to drink a couple or warm beers first them they actually taste pretty good with a little doctoring too.

Thanks for that tip. Warm beer beat cold soda water any old day. In fact think I already tried that one time..it still taste like a stink bug..lol.

Looks outstanding. I have done that method several times. Don't ya just love the slight hint of smokey fried chicken.

Now I have the true origins of what become the never ending saga of the Smo-Fried barnyard avian. It supposed to have started at an IBCA cookoff years back in a hick town in the DFW area..when two old drunk bums got out of the sack too late on Sat morn to cook the proverbial split schickens. They try it for a while and realize there aint going to be time to get ir done. Fortunately they had a pal camped in the next space who had been frying Turkeys Friday afternoon. They get this brilliant idear to fire up his turkey fryer and dunked the half raw half smoked goods down in the hot grease. This all happen while IBCA Lynn was tending to other bidness..lol. Supposed to have hit 1st or 2nd..it depends who which drunk is telling the story. Not telling this as the truth but just the way it was splained to me. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom