Forgive me my brethren... for I have sinned... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
Saint O'Que
 
Gary in VA's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: McGaheysville, Virginia
Posts: 1,411
Forgive me my brethren... for I have sinned...

It wasn't my plan... It just happened... I felt bad as I was doing it... I am sorry....

church class picnic at a shelter... I get there... put down my food and the organizer lady says... will you grill the hamburgers and hotdogs??... sure... ok.. here is the charcoal... now I ask.. "where's the chimney?... blank stare... "what's a chimney?"

"you didn't bring...............Lighter fluid?" I asked, expecting the worst answer possible...

"yeah, it's in the bag" she replied........I turned up my nose, prayed for forgiveness as I was dousing the coals with this nasty stuff.... I still cannot belive I did that... Yuck!.. that stuff smells... and tastes nasty... I let those coals burn for quite a while and I could still smell and taste it.. yuck... I will never again go to a picnic without my chimney where there is even the slightest chance that I will have to cook....

I have hung my head in shame since yesterday... forgive me my brethren... for I have sinned!

Gary
__________________

__________________
Gary Cline
Gary's Barbeque
McGaheysville, Virginia

Barbeque. Sit back, relax, and let the smoke work it's magic!

You can't drink all day, unless you start in the morning.

Lang 84 Deluxe
Primo Oval XL
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22" One Touch Gold
Brinkman Smoke - n - pit Pro
Cheap Table Top Grill
Weber Silver Gasser - she left me on 9/11/10
Gary in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Moderator
 
wittdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 9,860
Gary...you get a pass this time I hope you have learned your lesson as painfully as it was
__________________

__________________
Save the gas for the criminals Q with wood...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,162
I've often thought about squirting a bit of lighter fluid on the coals to tempt the judges who grew up with that flavor.
__________________
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
There was a time when I believed that spending the extra money on Match Light instead of using lighter fluid was a reasonble choice since I was more serious about my grilling technique than most folks and wanted a better finished product.

Gary, don't sweat it. Just don't let it happen again.
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
Web Celeb
 
Greg Rempe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 8,177
I am banning you right now!!
__________________
Host of The BBQ Central Radio Show
www.thebbqcentralshow.com
Greg Rempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
BBQ Centralite
 
Diva Q's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 3,379
__________________
________________________________________

www.DivaQ.ca

Life is too short for bad BBQ

Generously sponsored by:

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Big Rock Brewery
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Alcan
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
~looks the other way as it was for the LORD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Pope O'Que
 
Smokey_Joe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Central Massachusetts
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H.
There was a time when I believed that spending the extra money on Match Light instead of using lighter fluid was a reasonble choice since I was more serious about my grilling technique than most folks and wanted a better finished product.

Gary, don't sweat it. Just don't let it happen again.
There's a difference in flavor using lighter fluid compared to "Matchlight"????

They taste the same to me....THEY soak it with fluid before bagging...or you do at grilling time...either way..........NASTY!
__________________
JFOA

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
[quote=Smokey_Joe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cliff H.":1mptha0z
There was a time when I believed that spending the extra money on Match Light instead of using lighter fluid was a reasonble choice since I was more serious about my grilling technique than most folks and wanted a better finished product.

Gary, don't sweat it. Just don't let it happen again.
There's a difference in flavor using lighter fluid compared to "Matchlight"????

They taste the same to me....THEY soak it with fluid before bagging...or you do at grilling time...either way..........NASTY![/quote:1mptha0z]

Exactly

Hind site is 20/20
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
God O'Que
 
Uncle Bubba's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boardman, Ohio
Posts: 2,689
Funny, I was told that a certain very famous, and very successful, bbq cook uses lighter fluid...and a lot of it. (hint...he also cooks very fast)
__________________
Uncle Bubba

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Pope O'Que
 
SteerCrazy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,089
Chimneys should be standard in every vehicle, like a jack and jumper cables....
SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
"Friends don't let friends use Lighter Fluid." - Pirate Mike [me]

I have to say Lighter Fluid in a BBQ picture is the first thing that catches my eye then it's hard to see anything else.

Ever been talking to someone about Ribs and if they say the word BOIL you see their lips moving but never hear another word? It's that same thing.

hahha
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
I've often thought about squirting a bit of lighter fluid on the coals to tempt the judges who grew up with that flavor.
Hay, It worked for Mrs,Ribs last year at oink! That stuff was in the air so much, it burned your eyes! Just ask wittdog. Nasty indeed.
__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Saint O'Que
 
WalterSC's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denmark South Carolina
Posts: 1,097
Re: Forgive me my brethren... for I have sinned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in VA
It wasn't my plan... It just happened... I felt bad as I was doing it... I am sorry....

church class picnic at a shelter... I get there... put down my food and the organizer lady says... will you grill the hamburgers and hotdogs??... sure... ok.. here is the charcoal... now I ask.. "where's the chimney?... blank stare... "what's a chimney?"

"you didn't bring...............Lighter fluid?" I asked, expecting the worst answer possible...

"yeah, it's in the bag" she replied........I turned up my nose, prayed for forgiveness as I was dousing the coals with this nasty stuff.... I still cannot belive I did that... Yuck!.. that stuff smells... and tastes nasty... I let those coals burn for quite a while and I could still smell and taste it.. yuck... I will never again go to a picnic without my chimney where there is even the slightest chance that I will have to cook....

I have hung my head in shame since yesterday... forgive me my brethren... for I have sinned!

Gary
Welll now lest say 4 bbqs and ya got to say I love my chimney at least 50 times that should do it, consider yourself forgiven . Oh yea got to post pics of them BBQ`s!!!! LOL
__________________
Walter Brooker, Jr.
Pit Master Team Squeel Appeal
Graduate South Carolina Pit Masters School
South Carolina BBQ Association Master Judge
2- 22 1/2 '' WSMs
1 single barrel 55 gallon drum smoker
WalterSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
Smoker
 
boar_d_laze's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 334
I'll make it even worse. There's a "right way" to use lighter fluid.

Start in the regular way by building a mound, and giving it a good soak with the fluid. Here's where it gets different. Miller time. Walk away for at least five and as long as fifteen minutes. You want the most volatile, aromatic compounds to dissipate, and the rest to soak into the surface of the charcoal. When you return, look at the charcoal. It should look dry. You'll notice very little smell, by the way.

Sprinkle the charcoal with a little (emphasize "little") more fluid, more or less evenly. Give it a few seconds, out of respect, then light the fire in a couple or three places.

The fire will spread quickly to a large, even blaze. Within a couple of minutes the fluid smell will be gone (damn near). As the flames come down, you'll see a large core within the mound already glowing. The coals will come to maturity, and lose the mineral spirit odor more quickly and completely than any lighter fluid fire you've ever built. All of this is a function of the way the heat vaporizes the lighter fluid which soaked in the charcoal's surface, and the completeness of the ensuing combustion. It dffers from "pre soaked" in a number of respects, the most important of which are batch size, ventilation and soak period.

We've all done this by accident. Do it enough times, and you begin to notice. ADD is not without compensations.

Don't throw out your chimneys. Just sayin' is all.

Satan
__________________
What were we talking about?

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
Well, I guess everyone needs a second chance. You are forgiven. That will be 4 our fathers and 3 hell mary's for you.
__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

https://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by boar_d_laze
I'll make it even worse. There's a "right way" to use lighter fluid.

Start in the regular way by building a mound, and giving it a good soak with the fluid. Here's where it gets different. Miller time. Walk away for at least five and as long as fifteen minutes. You want the most volatile, aromatic compounds to dissipate, and the rest to soak into the surface of the charcoal. When you return, look at the charcoal. It should look dry. You'll notice very little smell, by the way.

Sprinkle the charcoal with a little (emphasize "little") more fluid, more or less evenly. Give it a few seconds, out of respect, then light the fire in a couple or three places.

The fire will spread quickly to a large, even blaze. Within a couple of minutes the fluid smell will be gone (damn near). As the flames come down, you'll see a large core within the mound already glowing. The coals will come to maturity, and lose the mineral spirit odor more quickly and completely than any lighter fluid fire you've ever built. All of this is a function of the way the heat vaporizes the lighter fluid which soaked in the charcoal's surface, and the completeness of the ensuing combustion. It dffers from "pre soaked" in a number of respects, the most important of which are batch size, ventilation and soak period.

We've all done this by accident. Do it enough times, and you begin to notice. ADD is not without compensations.

Don't throw out your chimneys. Just sayin' is all.

Satan
Put the crack pipe down and walk away.
__________________

__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×