Flank burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
I saw a recipe for flank burgers the other day and it caught my eye. Now I didn't uuse everything they said but the flank steak sounded pretty darn good. I got me a small flank steak, chooped and ground it. Then decided to grind 1/2 pound of bacon. Added some green onions and some red wine and a few other spices and onto the grill they went.

Looks great Nick, This mite be a southern term, they say: meat closest to horn or hoof has the most flavor. Thats why chuck, briskit, skirt & flank have such a great flavor.

It may be (God forbit) a Texas saying :LOL:

Well aint never been a New Yawker of course..so dont make no claims to understanding yall's logic sometimes but seems sorta irrational to take a high dollar flank steak (super lean..and mostly flavorless) and make a hamburger out of it. Now if a person was on some kinda low fat diet could make some sense out of it..till you added the bacon then that put me back to square one:) Have to side with old 007 here...most flavorful parts of the cow come from the ends. Hard to beat 80/20 chuck for burgers and I take that with ground up bacon in it any old day. Griff..brisket burgers is super good stuff in my book. Excellent flavor but must be treated gently cuz they dont like to stick together too good. In fact might even be tempted to add a raw egg per each 5 lbs of ground brisket just to make it hang tighter on the grill. Their lack of cohesiveness it one reason you dont find brisket used in sausage making very often...though me and a chum did make some purty good stuff one time using briskets..chuck roast and bacon. Was a little crumbly but not too bad. Also..assuming you grinding packers for burgers..trim the snot out of em..there will still be mo than plenty of fat to cook itself propaly and even give a nice grease fire if a person aint careful. Just thinking out loud here :LOL:

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
I saw a recipe for flank burgers the other day and it caught my eye. Now I didn't uuse everything they said but the flank steak sounded pretty darn good. I got me a small flank steak, chooped and ground it. Then decided to grind 1/2 pound of bacon. Added some green onions and some red wine and a few other spices and onto the grill they went.

007bond-jb said:
Looks great Nick, This mite be a southern term, they say: meat closest to horn or hoof has the most flavor. Thats why chuck, briskit, skirt & flank have such a great flavor.

It may be (God forbit) a Texas saying :LOL:

Up north it's closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat. Has always be true with girl friends. 8)

Flank steaks are a big $$$$$ cut around here...Id have to think twice before grinding one for my money...But I guess when you live on Long Island...

Back
Top Bottom