First time smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopdaddy

Senior Cook
I am planning to smoke some pork ribs for the 4th and this will be my first time. So I am coming here for advice.

I have a 22" Weber kettle that I will be using. I plan to smoke them indirectly using standard charcoal brickets, since that is what I am familiar with. I have some apple wood chips to use.

I wanted to know a couple things:
1. How long should I expect to smoke the ribs without overcooking them?
2. Approx. how many coals should I be using? Do I light them all at once or just a few?
3. I am making my own BBQ sauce to serve with the ribs, but what should I put on the ribs for the smoking process? Salt and pepper only?

Thanks for any help, suggestions and tips.

Jared

Koopdaddy, I'm sure you will get loads of great tips in the next 24 hours. The real basics are cooking at between 225 - 275°, many people like the 3-2-1 method, 3 hrs. unwrapped, 2 hrs. wrapped and 1 hr. with sauce or glaze unwrapped. So you are looking at up to 6 hours, the size and weight could lengthen or shorten this time. There are a number of ways to tell when they are done, but most folks have recommended to me when a toothpick slides through the rack like through butter they are done. As far as the charcoal you will probably have to add some as you cook, but set your fire up as a 2 zone, direct and indirect, light about 1/2 - 3/4 charcoal chimney when the coals are going dump them over the coals in your kettle, close it up and adjust it to the temperature you want to use. I am far from an expert and I know you will get some great advice, I'm just offering a starting point. Good luck with the ribs, I'll be watching for pictures.

Koopdaddy said:
I am planning to smoke some pork ribs for the 4th and this will be my first time. So I am coming here for advice.

I have a 22" Weber kettle that I will be using. I plan to smoke them indirectly using standard charcoal brickets, since that is what I am familiar with. I have some apple wood chips to use.

I wanted to know a couple things:
1. How long should I expect to smoke the ribs without overcooking them? Use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in the smoke, foil with a bit of butter or apple juice and cook for 2 more hours, take out of foil, sauce and back on the smoker for about an hour. Can be more or less depending on how they feel and the type of rib (baby back vs spare).
2. Approx. how many coals should I be using? Do I light them all at once or just a few? I'd put about 2/3 of a chimney of unlit coal off to the side, light a half chimney to dump on top of the unlit coals once it greys over. You might also think about putting an aluminum pan filled half way with water on the opposite side of the coals to help maintain a steady heat. You'll put the rack of ribs above the water pan.
3. I am making my own BBQ sauce to serve with the ribs, but what should I put on the ribs for the smoking process? Salt and pepper only? salt and pepper will work, but you can also find a selection of rubs at the grocery store. There's a lot of people producing their own these days that are very good.

Enjoy!

Thanks for any help, suggestions and tips.

Jared

I made my whisky BBQ sauce today. Next up is to prepare my rub. I am so excited to smoke these ribs.

Should I put the rub on tonight and let it sit overnight in the fridge, or should I wait till morning to put it on?

Well they are smoking away!

It started raining right as I got up this morning to light the coals....joy....but I got a rainbow out of it so hopefully that is a good sign!

right now the temp is sitting at 260.

img_221939_0_6e683beceb6e9e48668f95904f411155.jpg

img_221939_1_0716c3c3628585ea86a261690937bca8.jpg

img_221939_2_1f7684f0e44b906941cd61ad8f80a474.jpg

ScottyDaQ said:
I hope you waited til this morning. If you let the rub sit on the meat overnight, the salt can cure the meat and make it tastes like ham.

this is VERY EXTREMELY good information. No one likes ham on a stick

Speak for yourself John..er I mean Cappy. I likes my ham on a stick just fine. I always let my pig bones set overnight in a mustard slather and rub then rolled up like a jelly roll nestled safely in the tall kitchen non deodorized Glad trash bags. Nice start Koop. I like them cute little rib racks. Course I do not like the one I own. Each time I have tried to use it always wind up getting mad at it and throwing it. Carried it around in the back of the pickup for years hoping somebody would stoop low enough to steal it but alas no takers. Will say Weber rib racks are durable.

bigwheel

The finished product.....

They ended up a tad more done that I wanted, but still deliciously good. Everyone is stuffed and loved the ribs and sauce. Happy 4th to you all!

Ribs, brats, grilled sweet potato slices, salad, fruit platter, and baked beans. MMMMgood.

img_221966_0_9eeeae5d63cf965276b4faba1d1b21df.jpg

img_221966_1_e5e07fca206e46ac2e06b1c4b08d1f93.jpg

img_221966_2_9e01d0c6327419d4e1d9cce430e25752.jpg

img_221966_3_8c4038c47fc36570c8e5813ddb3dc0e0.jpg

img_221966_4_b3460a04bbd045ef0b12ad975fbc9e7f.jpg

img_221966_5_33319d2c0a6da7ba8b71d297e3fc605b.jpg

img_221966_6_059aaeb3a1284fa320330b6d35034ca0.jpg

img_221966_7_88a9b0dd49557ff780b06d92d5a8ba31.jpg

There were a few that were a bit too charred on some of the smaller pieces for my taste. The meat was very tender for the most part. They actually turned out really good, I just think next time I would take them off a little sooner.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Great looking bones. Can tell you had the temp just about right cuz the meat did not climb the bones. If you see a rack with the meat pulled back a long way from the end of the bone thats a sign it was cooked too hot. If you ever tastes some that are real dry but good tasting and smokey that is a sign of somebody trying to play low and slow on an offset.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom