First time lump use - and wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JamesB said:
The Wally Mart in town just started carrying Royal Oak products.

They have a 2 20lb bag bundle of charcoal for $7.50 and the lump is 5.82 for a 10lb bag... Are lthese prices any good?

James.

The lump is a little on the high side, I pay 8.99 for a 20lb bag of lump

CrazyWhiteMan said:
JamesB said:
The Wally Mart in town just started carrying Royal Oak products.

They have a 2 20lb bag bundle of charcoal for $7.50 and the lump is 5.82 for a 10lb bag... Are lthese prices any good?

James.

The lump is a little on the high side, I pay 8.99 for a 20lb bag of lump

Where do you get your lump here on the island? I find it every now and then at King Kullen.

Lump will last twice as long as briquettes pound for pound.I did a 145 pound whole hog last weekend with 20 pounds of Humphrey lump. It's all about fire control.

Susan Z said:
...but it costs 4x as much!
Susan: So you spend as much time as needed to pick out a perfect piece of meat to have, And then cut corners on what fuel you use? Doesn't make sense to me. I'll burn wood to coals before I use Kingsford or any briquette for that mater. BUT that's just me.

I used lump for the first time on my last smoke two weeks ago. It was great. I couldnt believe the differance in the amount of ash differance from briquettes. And I also used Cowboy (on sale at the local grocers). Going to a wholesaler in Buffalo in the am for a case of peppers to make a s@#tload of abts and I know they have lump there in BIG bags...can't wait !

Back
Top Bottom