first real cook on kettle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
Well today I fired up the kettle and put some chicken thighs on. I marinated them in Road side chicken and at the end put some of my bbq sauce on them. The out side got a little burnt. I make the mistake of putting some apple wood on the fire and not letting it word burn down some. The inside was very moist and tender. It had excelent flavor. Over all it was very good. Next time I plan to try it without the wood chunks. Also I was wondering if I used too much charcoal I used about a 3/4 of a chimmly full. Does that sound about right or should I have used less?

here are a few pics

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... kar9z&Ux=1

Captain Morgan said:
what did you think about the flavor of the roadside with the bbq sauce?

I thougt it was very good so did my family. Maybe I was just really hungry :-k :-k Only used only little sauce on it I did not drech it in it. I also did not baste the chicken w/ the RSC while it was cooking. Dont know if that makes a big difference. Next time I plan to do it the same way but with no apple wood just charcoal.

Chris

I've done roadside chicken before and I do it 1/2 direct and 1/2 indirect. By cooking indirect you can avoid the burning. I just purchased the baskets for the charchol and it keeps a nice fire to the two sides. I used rails prior to that but I like the baskets better.

I think ... RSC is best done over direct coals and basted every 10 to 15 minutes. I would recommend spreading the coals out a bit more and trying RSC as written before making any changes. It definitly needs to be baby sat or it will burn. Just my 2¢

For the 2nd cook on your'e new kettle, I think it looked great!
I won't comment on th RSC' 'cause I haven't tried it, it does look like a nice crunchy skin!
I mean i'll have one comment #-o

The Joker said:
I think ... RSC is best done over direct coals and basted every 10 to 15 minutes. I would recommend spreading the coals out a bit more and trying RSC as written before making any changes. It definitly needs to be baby sat or it will burn. Just my 2¢

It is best over direct coals and I find the WSM works great. You get the flavor from the drippings but not all the char like when using a kettle.

Chris, next time use less coals (maybe half chimney for the 18" kettle). I'd also bank them onto one half of the grill, that way if you get a bad flare up you can just move the chicken to the side without coals to prevent charring.

Id agree with Wolfe. Add about 1/2 chimney to your kettle. If the fire is too hot to even baste them every 10-15 min you probably have too many coals. I made that mistake many times, no wonder the hairs on my knuckles never grow back #-o

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom