Epic Pizza Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
the first attempt was....not so good... burned the bottom so bad I had to
toss the whole thing. Good thing I had a ribeye in the fridge so I didn't waste
the coals and go hongry for dinner.

found some pics on the camera too...thighs and tri-tip.

Yea it can be tricky . . . keeping the stone hot enough to cook the bottom crispy and the topping done at the same time. I put a small stack of coals under the stone and a larger grouping around the outside when I use my pizza stone. It's all trial and error until you work it out. Don't give up. BBQ pizza is worth the effort.

interesting link Scotty. I've got that chicken rack finney made for the 18...it might
be the perfect answer to getting the stone a little higher and still letting
the lid fit.

I'll try again. I've got a lot of work to do here...I looked like a dadgum clown trying to spread
the store-bought dough out. gotta get a rolling pin.

I put a pizza stone on top of a some of fire bricks

img_236304_0_54ba6258a769d53370120850c448584c.jpg

I'm laugh'n hard, Capt! BTDT! Is that Vermont or New Hampshire?(pizza shape)

It's like everything, Capt, practice makes perfect. Top sure looks good!

you suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swampsauce said:
you suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you mean you don't want to come over for dinner next time you're down?
I was doing all this just for you!

Captain Morgan said:
swampsauce said:

you mean you don't want to come over for dinner next time you're down?
I was doing all this just for you!

I will be HAPPY to treat you to Amici's!!!!!

ScottyDaQ said:
I was just reading something on this... The key is to elevate the stone to the top so convection happens.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... #continued
I bet putting the stone on top of 3 empty beer cans would work...or 3 on-end bricks

I tried something similar to this and it worked much better, but still my best results have been simply indirect.

Jim I did some R&D with doing pizza on the grill by buying the Celeste Pizza's when they're on sale 10 for $10. They're cheap so if you ruin it, no big deal. Try this with and without the stone and see how your results vary, then make a homemade pie.

Don't get discouraged, that still looks better than my first try at pizza on the grill. Just keep a close eye on it. Check it after 5 min. and then every two min. after that. Your cooking time will be longer but it's worth knowing what's going on. You can also try throwing some corn meal on the stone right before you put your pizza on. Kinda works like little ball bearings. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it after a few dozen attempts.

Back
Top Bottom