Dry Aged Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
On Thursday afternoon I pulled three steaks out of the fridge, sprinkled them with some Texas steak rub then they went back in the fridge uncovered. I left them that way until Friday night then I cooked them over charcoal until they were medium rare. We also had some asparagus (kinda small) and a nice green salad. I like to eat my salad last so that’s why you don’t see it on my plate, plus the steak was taking up most of the room. All in all it was a good dinner.

img_189805_0_055a75294a19a112b3577087bddc2a3b.jpg

img_189805_1_25e92b632b0658ecd5f2e2aeb9baab1e.jpg

img_189805_2_127af397c9e2e34cfaea6b759e270776.jpg

img_189805_3_e5376f184f42d0115514d9166f3f9c91.jpg

img_189805_4_6990310e044eb88651943e54208b5c0a.jpg

Toby, did you feel the long marinade put too much flavor in the meat?
Also, uncovered in the fridge, do you feel it dried the steaks out any?

Captain Morgan said:

Damn... I coulda sworn the title said dry aged. :P i.e....to remove water and leave beefy juice goodness...

But I hear what you're saying Cappy. Toby... How did adding the rub that early work out? How much salt is in the TX rub?

Captain Morgan said:

Next time I wont add any seasoning until they are ready to go on the grill as it did soak up a lot of the rub. After being in the fridge for two day's they were definitely drier. They were in the garage fridge where I keep my beer so the door opening and closing allot helped.

Well to test the old hypothesis of whether the light goes out when the door gets shut looks like to me a person gonna need to lounge around inside of there for a while. Now there is a januine Kraut feller who hangs out down at the local watering hole who been teaching me how they dry age meat in da Fadderland. He say take the meat..steak..chop..roast etc. and put it on a glass plate and stick it in the icebox for a week. He say each day to dump the blood which accumulates in the plate and give the steak a flip. Gave it a try works good. Think maybe I also rinsed off the plate occasionally. Some of us are real anal about stuff like that ya know? Now during the week you aint supposed to season it at all.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom