Delmonico steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
You guys ever hear of a Delmonico? I was in Syracuse last week for my brother's wedding and we were at an Italian steakhouse one night and they had a steak called a Delmonico. 24 oz for 15.99. Seemed like a good deal so I ordered it. It was pretty good. Looks like a ribeye that has extra meat around it. Is this an untrimmed ribeye?

Delmonico's was the most famous restaurant in NY during the gilded age. Among their most famous dishes was their signature "Demonico" steak. Unfortunately the identity of the exact cut is lost to history. I read an article on this, and IIRC, the most popular guess is a bone-in rib steak. However, it's a guess and there are others. Me? I hope it's true because that's my favorite steak. I'd like to think I was in on the action with Commodore Vanderbilt, Fiske, Gould and Diamond Jim Brady.

Today, the most you can stay about it is that it's NOT a standard butcher's term. However, regionalism in meat cut names is still strong in the U.S., and "Delmonico" might mean something very specific in Syracuse.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom