Cuban Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don Cash

Senior Cook
We spent some time down in Cape Coral, Florida this March with my parents and we all fell in love with the Cuban bread down there. Inspired by Ralph Young's post over on TVWBB, I thought I'd try it here in Virginia. I used the recipe from 3 Guys from Miami. Couldn't find lard in anything smaller than a 5 lb tub (not ready to pull the trigger on that much yet) and from what I hear, store bought lard isn't worth the money anyway, so I didn't get it. I used vegetable shorting for the fat instead.

Here we go...

Fire grate set up.

img_237180_0_ad632a5d65560022040aea3b18494519.jpg

Cooking grate set up. Pre-heated to 450*

img_237180_1_845fa3408ec68d04e97bc0cd52f62eaa.jpg

Loaf.

img_237180_2_3aefa0ac9886b1b2c683db3ebfd4b254.jpg

On.

img_237180_3_0a803ce927b8d1ed0fbc40539f129337.jpg

Off.

img_237180_4_a65d68e9acb1a9d2d84a3142cce8f197.jpg

Looks and smells like the bread we had down there. We'll see. Sunday is grandparent's day here at our house. My parents usually come over around 11:00am and this loaf is for them. My in-laws are coming over for dinner tonight and I'm going to do another loaf later in the afternoon for that meal. Won't know how it tastes until then.

Thanks for looking and enjoy your day by your grills...on in whatever you are doing today.

Thanks everyone. Your kind words mean the world...

bbquzz said:
After reading the recipe I have even more respect for your skills Don.
Haha! Not me! My wife is the baker in the family. I was just the monkey in front of the grill on this one.

Damn so now it's the dynamic duo lol, looks like its ganna be awsome...I dunno how the hell you can wait lol

Tell the wife congrats. She scored it perfectly and it looks great! I've been spending the last 8 hrs. working with some sourdough I started yesterday. PITA!

3 Olives said:
Don - Does your Wife bake a lot of bread?
She use to, before the little one came along. Now it's mostly cakes, pies and such...much less time and Campbell likes to help. Bread is a boring PITA for a 4 year old.

Truth be told, she's the brain behind most of my cooks. We're a good team. She like making the sides and I like doing the main dishes. Since I caught the grilling bug we just try and do everything outside...with me, as I said in another post, as the monkey in front of the grill.

Back
Top Bottom