chuck eye virgin no more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
Some chuck eyes turned up in the specials at Giant -- first I've seen here -- so I gave 'em a try following Larry Wolfe's recommended method: woos and WRB both sides, Ziploc, fridge for at least an hour, grill. I also did a poor man's Jaccard treatment (using a granny fork). The slicing was uneven so one end was thinner than the other. That end got done about medium, which means chewier, the thicker end about medium-rare, which means good bites. It'll never beat out a rib eye, but it's tasty beef at a good price.

chuckeye11-08.jpg

--John
(I just ordered a real Jaccard.)

Well somebody who thinks a ribeye tastes mo betta than a part of the chuck gotta show me cuz I got kin from near Missourrii:) I bumped into some CAB chuck steaks once upon a time. Wowser. Make a person chunk rocks at a ribeye. Now in the select grade I would use it for some kind of wet cooking application. Makes wonderful Swiss steak etc. Much mo betta than round. Round got about as much flavor as a ribeye off a scrawny old grass fed hamburger cow.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well somebody who thinks a ribeye tastes mo betta than a part of the chuck gotta show me cuz I got kin from near Missourrii:) I bumped into some CAB chuck steaks once upon a time. Wowser. Make a person chunk rocks at a ribeye. Now in the select grade I would use it for some kind of wet cooking application. Makes wonderful Swiss steak etc. Much mo betta than round. Round got about as much flavor as a ribeye off a scrawny old grass fed hamburger cow.

bigwheel
Flavor is one part of the evaluation, tender is another. Chuck is tall on flavor, short on tender. At least, that's my initial finding. You may have noticed I was talking about Jaccards.

--John

Yeppers..I heard you talking about Jaccards. I happen to be the proud owner of one of them thangs and the only time it been outta the camper drawer in the past few years is if sombody happen to want to borrow one:) Dang I hate them thangs nearly as bad as rib racks. I dont think one of them things could tenderize my right buttock. Actually try at least choice grade and preferably CAB and you wont need to waste your time with that crazy gizmo or destructive marinates. Them CAB's I had would melt in your mouth and we don't eat raw meat. Got to have a hot pink center or the warden nags and the senor warden can't have no red showing at all..so to prevent worms I cook it prob a little doner than most of the folks on here who seem to like it cold and bloody. See whut I'm saying here? Thanks.

bigwheel

Unity said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
Flavor is one part of the evaluation, tender is another. Chuck is tall on flavor, short on tender. At least, that's my initial finding. You may have noticed I was talking about Jaccards.

--John

bigwheel said:
Yeppers..I heard you talking about Jaccards. I happen to be the proud owner of one of them thangs and the only time it been outta the camper drawer in the past few years is if sombody happen to want to borrow one:) Dang I hate them thangs nearly as bad as rib racks. I dont think one of them things could tenderize my right buttock. Actually try at least choice grade and preferably CAB and you wont need to waste your time with that crazy gizmo or destructive marinates. Them CAB's I had would melt in your mouth and we don't eat raw meat. Got to have a hot pink center or the warden nags and the senor warden can't have no red showing at all..so to prevent worms I cook it prob a little doner than most of the folks on here who seem to like it cold and bloody. See whut I'm saying here? Thanks.

bigwheel

Nothing invented that could do that! :LOL:

bigwheel said:
try at least choice grade and preferably CAB
Reading comprehension, BW: I bought the first and only package of chuck eyes I've ever seen. The first steak out of the package was mostly tough. I'm hoping I can make the other one come out better.

--John

John,

Is that a very small plate or a chuck eye as big as a small chuck roast ?

The chuck eyes I get a very small and very tender. You still have to cut around some fat and silver skin type membrane but still very much worth the effort.

Cliff H. said:
John,

The chuck eyes I get a very small and very tender. You still have to cut around some fat and silver skin type membrane but still very much worth the effort.
It's a full-size dinner plate, Cliff. Beats me what's normal -- this is the first I've ever seen labeled chuck eye. There was no silver skin and the fat didn't warrant trimming.

--John
(Flat-iron or chuck-blade steaks have silver-skin issues.)

Cliff H. said:
John,

I thought the same thing Cliff. Kind of looks like a Chuck steak to me.

Well back with my special losing chili recipe which I dont use any mo..I went through a lot of mock tender chuck for about 4 bucks a pound..and it did need quite a bit of cleaning up. In fact the butcher normally do it for me and I slip him two bucks for a sody pop. That is supposed to be the po folks version of Tenderloin. I dont think them I was getting was all that tender. Musta been Select grade but then for chili who cares? It just less fat to figger out how to try and get rid of.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom