Cheaper Cuts of Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
I’m beginning to appreciate these cheaper cuts of beef. Not only for the price but they seem to be tastier then other cuts to me.

This one is a Flat Iron Steak, $6.99 lb; about half of what Choice Rib Eyes are going for. After poking a thousand holes in it with my Jaccard tenderizer I marinated it in Italian dressing, lime juice, and fresh garlic. A couple of minutes on a hot grill then served up with some oven roasted potatoes and a salad do the trick.

img_163385_0_679d09efe6714dc77728eab3f3d87cac.jpg

img_163385_1_b05d5dc626c3635560bbfd2ba9846185.jpg

img_163385_2_f1dedb6050357674a04c87cf6ea12664.jpg

img_163385_3_7eb4d050d2665485379dbf044f9ae1a9.jpg

img_163385_4_a28379a058857c4f70a2ea7a00d9a3eb.jpg

Looks real good. Hadn't thought about the jicard. One of our local markets runs an occasional $4.99 special on them and we stock up.

I love Flat Iron steak!!! THe only time I don't like it is when I get the one that has that cartilage that runs through the middle of it. What a pain it is to cut around it to eat. But I can also get Black Angus rib eyes for $7.99 a lb around here.

Hi, I am a meat cutter down here in Alabama the cheaper cuts of beef that sells great here is: Chuck eye steaks ($3.99lb), Tri-tip steak($4.99lb), and flat iron steaks($4.99lb). The chuck eye cooks up like a ribeye, tri tip steak cooks up like a strip and the flat iron cooks up like a strip as well. We sell tons of each in the meat market I manage. I also make a steak rub thats awesome and can be bought on my website - www.SmokinRub.com

Anymore questions about meat I can probably help you out :)

Mike

amdphreak said:
I've got the butcher trained at my local Albertson's to save me chuck eyes when they cut boneless rib roasts, as I go in there every couple of days for fresh meat anyway. ;)

Man you are getting the good stuff if they are selling you chuck eyes from bonless ribeyes! The actual chuck eye comes off the chuck roll. Its usually the first 4 steaks off of it (seemed off the cap). Hard to explain without showing ya :) If you are getting them off a ribeye what you are getting is what some people call a delmonico steak.

Mike

SmokinRubcom said:
amdphreak said:
I've got the butcher trained at my local Albertson's to save me chuck eyes when they cut boneless rib roasts, as I go in there every couple of days for fresh meat anyway. ;)

Man you are getting the good stuff if they are selling you chuck eyes from bonless ribeyes! The actual chuck eye comes off the chuck roll. Its usually the first 4 steaks off of it (seemed off the cap). Hard to explain without showing ya :) If you are getting them off a ribeye what you are getting is what some people call a delmonico steak.

Mike

Tell me why there aren't tri tip steaks at most big groceries? I can get them but it takes a two day notice. To me they cook up more like a ribeye or filet. AND, is there a code for the delmonico steaks I can get the butcher to cut for me??

Most stores leave the tri-tip on the top sirloin and cut the whole top sirloin for steaks. Here at the market I manage we take the cap off the top sirloin (this is the tri tip) and now have gotten our customers liking the tri tip steak and tri tip roast. As for the delmonico's just ask them to cut you off (2) steaks from the large end of a boneless ribeye. PS. You ought to try some of the steak seasoning I sell on my website its the BEST :)

Hope this helps
Mike
www.SmokinRub.com

Back
Top Bottom