Charcoal starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duckdeerbeer

Assistant Cook
I bought one of the tower style charcoal starters at walmart and it works great but my grill is too big for that amount of charcoal. Is there a better option for us larger grill users? I guess I could get 2 or 3 of these starters but there must be a better option. Thanks.

duckdeerbeer said:
I bought one of the tower style charcoal starters at walmart and it works great but my grill is too big for that amount of charcoal. Is there a better option for us larger grill users? I guess I could get 2 or 3 of these starters but there must be a better option. Thanks.

Get a small propane torch. I use a hose torch. Or one paper towel with about a TBS of veg oil on it in the middle of the coals.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a chimney starter ? If so, the play is to start a chimney full of coals and dump them on a pile of unlit coals.. 10 min later you have a whole pile of lit coal

Try the old Boy Scout way; get a coffe can, poke some holes around the bottom all the way around (about an inch a part). crumple up some newspaper or paper towels to stuff in the bottom of the can and top it off with the charcoal. Then light the paper, when the charcoal is lit, just pull the can away with some pliers and put more charcoal if so desired.

I have been using a Weber Chimney starter for some time. It holds six quarts of charcoal briquets (about 100). I had a smaller, cheaper chimney starter and it tended to go out without starting the charcoal. It looks almost as good as the Weber but it does NOT get it. The Weber does. 15-20 minutes and I dump the charcoal and spread it around. Five minutes later I am ready to cook!

My grills are a Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold and an 18.5" One Touch Silver...

Dale53

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom