Chance at a Competiton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
I might have a chance at a competition in June for a small/medium butcher shop here. We'll be grillin ribeyes (probably 2 inches thick) and i know how i want to cook it but thought any extra advice would be great! Thanks for your help. db

Ya, i have tried the reverse sear twice now and overcooked to "well" each time. 1 was 2inches thick and the other was a monster 3". Ill get it this weekend. Both were just well done but........even color and
mmm...mmmm.. goood! Kinda hard to screw up one of these Tony's steaks if you ask me.

dollarbill said:
Ya, i have tried the reverse sear twice now and overcooked to "well" each time. 1 was 2inches thick and the other was a monster 3". Ill get it this weekend. Both were just well done but........even color and
mmm...mmmm.. goood! Kinda hard to screw up one of these Tony's steaks if you ask me.

Bill,
Try this next time you try the reverse sear, but also make sure you have an accurate thermometer.

Cook the steaks indirect in the 225-275* range until they get to approximately 100-110* depending on the thickness. Then remove from the heat and tent with foil and crank your heat to at least 450-500* hotter won't hurt but isn't really necessary. Then sear on each side for about three minutes per side and pull off the cooker at 125* if you want it rare. This should give you consisent results! Hope this helps!

Bill, you overcooked a 2" and 3" steak to well?? YIKES!!

I did inch and a quarter T-Bones the other night with no therms but did check quite a bit with the poke method. Reverse sear worked like a champ and that was my first time trying it...all be it a little modified to a degree.

And like Larry said...get a good and accurate thermometer to avoid the over-cook...and also learn how a steak feels as it goes up in tempreature...that way if you are ever stuck in a situation that you have no thermometer, you won't screw up the temps cuz you will know how they "feel" when they are med rare, med well and so on! 8)

The "sear" part of the process goes really fast, so you have to watch the temps closely. Also the temps keep rising a little after you pull the meat off, so try to anticipate this as well.

Thank you guys for all of the input. I did use a themometer te first time but was really busy enjoying my beer. Right when i put the 3 incher ov3er the hot coals my buddy decided he was gonna leave. So in an effort to get to stay and eat i followed him to his truck and forgot about the steak........kinda............and when he drove off thats when i remembered OH Crap My Steak.............. :?
I wil be trying this again this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom