Burn-off procedure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldtrlrnr

Assistant Cook
Now that I've got my new Weber Summit BBQ grill, I'm interested in getting a little more systematic about using it properly. My old grill built up a lot of deposits, and I'm thinking maybe I didn't do burn-offs that were hot enough or long enough. So I thought I'd ask about burn-off procedure - how long & what temperature is optimal for burn-off?

BTW, one thing I really like about this new Weber grill is its superior system for clearing out burn-off ashes. Its flavorizer bars are easily removable for cleaning underneath, and the whole under-burner area is better shaped for channeling debris into the catch pan that is easily accessible from the front. I plan to brush off both top & undersides of the grill grids after every use. On my old grill I rarely brushed the undersides.

TIA

Bob

When I cook on my Genesis I get it screaming hot then scrape the grill, then let the grill get super hot again before placing food on. I'm talking at least 550 degrees. Start your grill all burners set on high every cook and get it really hot, this should help keep the grill clean.

When mine gets really caked up I cover the grates with aluminum foil, fire up all 6 burners and close the cover. When it stops smoking it's as clean as a self cleaning oven.

Sent using smoke signals because I'm a cheap bastard!

Back
Top Bottom