Burger Help...need some pointers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
OK, I admit it...I SUCK when it comes to grilling hamburgers, I don't know what it is, i.e. wrong kind of meat, wrong lean to fat ratio, too hot a fire, too big a burger, to small a burger...who the F%$K knows...

all I know is that I usually start out with 80/20 ground chuck, make burgers using a burger press, they're about 1/4 to 1/2" thick and about 3 1/2" in diameter. Usually start with about 1/2 a chimney of charcoal, let it get hot and ashed over, then grill burgers indirect for a while then just short of done (about 150-155º) I place them direct over the coals and take them to 165º.

But they always seem to dry out a little and plump up and they're just not great. Any suggestions for the next burger night. THANKS!

**I don't have a meat grinder so don't tell me to grind my own meat, cuz that ain't happnin' :LOL:

I add a 1/4 cup of my favorite BBQ sauce per pound of hamburger meat. I aint had any complaints yet.

165 seems really close to well done. I dont use a press so I can only guess..usually 1/2" -3/4" thick and cook direct but not over a lot of coals. about the same...half a chimney but spread out. The 80/20 chuck has the best flavor for me ...but thats for me, not a general rule. I dont usually add anything to it until after. I would guess I shoot for under 140 since usually going for med rare. I think some on here may may the patties slightly concave, which I hear Cappy invented...but I think I read it from Witt first.
good luck on burger night

JB showed how to put a small valley in the middle of each patty and it comes out flat... Juice equals fat.. Get fatter content burgers... Lean sux.

I make mine by hand put meat in large bowl and mix pepper/lawry's/worcestershire/little garlicsalt make your burgers when you put them on the grill use this method with your burger flipper go across burger both ways push down just A little when first put them on the grill this is A trick my granny showed me long time ago and it works they will not plump up try this and see if it helps had some chops in the fridge i'm cooking tonight

80/20 is perfect and it seems your cooking method is pretty much the same way I cook them too, but I would pull the burgers no hotter than 160º, probably closer to 155º-157º. Try making the burgers next time without a press and 'lightly' form the patties, do not over work them and they don't have to be perfectly formed. If you overwork them pressing them tight, they'll be tough. Season with only kosher salt and black pepper, keep is simple.

I think you're using the right meat, but three things I do different:
1. I hand pattie them so the meat isn't as dense as with a press. I notice a big difference here. The best burger around here comes from a place that hand patties there own verses the machine made ones most places use.
2. I make them about 3/4" in bigger around than the bun - usually means about 6 oz meat. I want the first thing my mouth touches to be meat not bun.
3. I make them a little concave in the middle so after they plump up they are flat. Allows for me to get my mouth around it after it's dressed.
I end up with a flat juicy burger a litter bigger around than the bun.
I cook them over direct coals, flip them when the juices come to the surface, and remove them when the juices come to the surface again. You can adjust this to suit your doneness needs.
Give it a try and I think you'll be pleased.

You guyz and your temps. :roll:

FRESH Ground Chuck

Form into 2x6" patties

Put rub on.... (WRB)

Put on sheet tray and put in freezer to 8-10 minutes.

---

Grill indirect (22.5" OTG, Full chimbley poured on one side, vents open, lid closed) with orange wood, or some strong flavored wood for 8-10 minutes...rotate....'nother 10.... flip and go direct with lid off.

Feeeeeel the meat....FEEEEEL it. If you see juice....you done poked it too much !!!!

8)

I make a log of herb butter (anything I like in it), and put that in the middle of the handmade burger. It adds great flavor, and it doesn't dry out!

Captain Morgan said:
swampsauce said:
I add a 1/4 cup of my favorite BBQ sauce per pound of hamburger meat. I aint had any complaints yet.

and what would your favorite sauce be? :LOL:
Greg will send me a bill for advertising if I answer that! :LOL:

80/20 ground chuck - the best for burgers
85/15 ground round - good for burgers

Mike Whisante

I like 80/20. I like to pour in a little wooster sauce and onion soup mix or some other dry rub of some sort.

Mix it all up and make some oversize patties. They are going to shrink. Grill it like big dude said.

Do not press the juice out of the burger.

Ill echo the 80/20...I make my patties a bit on the thin side for somes taste, but the spend less time on the fire and are a little juicier...I also dont look at temp as much as I do texture on a burger

Same here on the 80/20. Like my burgers pressed with hands and not to tight and a little bigger that the bun. Use to use pepper and Tony's and now I use WRO or WRB. Cook over direct heat until jucies run and flip and same on the other side. I like mine pink on the inside and the wife likes hers well done.

OK heres what I do.

I get my ground beef from my butcher shop and it is truly the best ground beef I have ever had period anywhere.

I love burgers in a HUGE way.

My butcher uses a mixture of chuck and brisket in his mix. I then add some wooster (a few splashes) some finely minced onions salt pepper and garlic.

I use an ice cream scoop and scoop out two of the meat mixture for each burger. That way each burger is about the same size and they will cook at the same time.

Always by hand form the pattie and then into the freezer for a few on waxed paper sheets if they need firming up.

Then direct on my kettle or the Traeger.

Do the indention trick used in Union Burgers, 80/20 chuck. form by hand & MOST IMPORTANT don't never ever press down with a spachula while grilling.
I do mine over direct heat & pull at about 150 cover in foil to finish in the oven

Lot of good burger tips here and counting JB's as one of the best. Lots of folks like to mash down on em with a spatula as they cook..which is not a good plan. It squeezes the juice out of em making them dry and tough. Think the first time I ever heard that come from a magazine article written by Paul Newman the actor many moons ago. I dont put any rub on em to start with but dust em off on the cooked side with Obiecue's Steak Maker Spice once that particular side gets done. I dont stick em with a gauge but rather flip when the blood comes to the top..then flip again till it resurfaces on the other side and starts to clear up a little. Normally break the no mashing rule once as that point to see how much juice is left. If not much comes out its ready. Stack em up and wrap in foil till its time to eat. We only do burgers well done since the warden is skerred of e coli. Also like to spray the buns with PAM and toast them up a little after the burgers are done. I always cook them direct on the gasser using med heat. Charcoal is too much trouble.

bigwheel

007bond-jb said:
Do the indention trick used in Union Burgers, 80/20 chuck. form by hand & MOST IMPORTANT don't never ever press down with a spachula while grilling.
I do mine over direct heat & pull at about 150 cover in foil to finish in the oven

Back
Top Bottom