Burger Help...need some pointers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dearly Deceased old Daddy spent quite a bit of time amongst the Limeys back during the Big War..WW II of course. He say they did not even know whut a hambuger was. They would try to make you one if you tell them how to do it. Don't sound like things have changed much on that score. PS..edit. He also say being in Noo Yawk City was like being in a furrin country.

bigwheel

Diva Q said:
Heston Blumenthal also did a great show on the ultimate burger on his show. In search of perfection.

HEre is his recipe:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 7366.shtml

Try a "Jucy Lucy". It's a burger that originated in Minneapolis. It's a burger stuffed with cheese. I add diced onions to mine. Basically make two very thin patties, add cheese etc to the middle and pinch the edges to seal into one full size patty. Grill as usual, but pull a little early and let rest. Carry over heat will finish the cooking and let the cheese get fully melted, but not molten hot. I top with more cheese like a standard cheeseburger.

That's a good-looking grill.

41JSXtcf40L._SS400_.jpg

--John

Takes a woman to make a decent hamburger patty. Turn it over to em. Don't bother to stick em with a gauge. When you mash on em and aint no juice comes out all the pathogens are daid..hopefully. That the time to grab em up. Also grill your buns. Spray em down with PAM and stick on the fire for a bit. Chunk the charcoal receptacle and get use a gasser. Takes a gasser or a greasy spoon griddle to make a decent burger. Set it half way betwixt high and low and wait about five mins. Open the lid and if you see blood that is a sign to flip. Shut the lid about another 4 mins..if mo blood pops up give one mo flip..then do the mash. No juice hitting the flavor bar means they are fitten. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Honestly, the best tip in this thread is from Pen.....form thin
patties and cook em quickly. if you want more meat on
your burger, just use 2 thin patties....I find I don't overcook
as much using thin patties.

I would make them thicker so they wont dry out so fast. Our press , before it broke, was about 5 to 6 inches round and it worked great. I think it was one of those "pampered chef" deals the wife
brought home -but I loved it. Im kinda surprised to hear Larry say not to press em' to hard cause I've always smashed the shi* out tuv' em'. ;) :D :D

Well I dont think it super critical to follow the non pressing rule as long as the meat is in the raw state. Now I wouldnt want an elephant to stomp on it or anything like that..but don't think a reasonable force applied when patty making is gonna hurt it. In fact I used to have the cutest little Rubbermaid plastic hamburger press you ever seen. Just about 4 or 5 little round patty shaped bowls and a masher. Drop a wad of hamburger meat down in the bowl and squish it with the masher..then continueth. When you get a full load you either take em outta the bowls and make mo pattties or leave em in the molds and start stacking them together and into the icebox. Somebody say you can still find em on ebay. Very good on portion control situations such as if you trying to sell em but you don't know when somebody gonna want to buy one. Thats how I done it when I was the HMFIC down at the local combo pool hall and hamburger joint..also movie rentals..video arcade and indoors minature Golf. We called it Golf and Stuff..cuz I seen a movie which had that as the name of a similar place. Always thought it sounded kewlish:)

bigwheel

I make good burgers. didn't read the whole thread so some of it may have been mentioned already:

not too thick

don't press them repeatedly on the grill (makes the juices run out), don't cram them together, not too many at once, leave room to move them around if it flares up

I put a little bread crumb, egg and milk/cream in them, dehyd onions (flakes or minced) to help them bind instead of fresh onions ... woos, rub wahtever else you like

I cook direct for color then indirect

sorry, I don't measure temp

took to using reg gr beef instea of lean or x lean, like it way mucho more

rest them like anything else ... 10 minutes or so

Posted this on the other board in the fall:

The burgers went triangular after I found these buns at a local bakery. They call them ciabatta. I've had ciabatta from other places that were much heavier, tough but these are lighter and tender. Whatever they are, they are good, so I started making the patties to fit.

Just something to look at, hope ya enjoy!

Hand made triangle patties, reg gr beef & stuff:
2008-10-31a001.jpg

Patties close up:
2008-10-31a002.jpg

Maple Leaf lump, Raichlen Chimney Starter, My Kettle-esque grill:
2008-10-31a003.jpg

Lit dumped:
2008-10-31a004.jpg

Patties on:
2008-10-31a005.jpg

Grilled bun, chipotle mayo on top, dill slices on garlic buttered bottom:
2008-10-31a006.jpg

Add a burger after a 5 minute foil rest:
2008-10-31a007.jpg

L&T on top, aged white cheddar, butter fried back bacon, sauteed mushrooms, ketchup & mustard, onions on bottom:
2008-10-31a008.jpg

Ready to go after a squish together:
2008-10-31a009.jpg

The SO is sharing her burger with you:
2008-10-31a010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom