Brisket on a gas grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Is this possible guys?
I have done it in the oven in the middle of winter, but never on the grill.
Tips?

erik13 said:
Is this possible guys?
I have done it in the oven in the middle of winter, but never on the grill.
Tips?
Can you get a constant temp of around 225-250 degrees in the chamber but not under the brisket? If so, I say yes.

It will work, but like Cliff said don't you have a WSM?? I would recommend the WSM route, but if you are still set on the gas route here's what you do. Set up the grill for indirect cooking, with a drip pan with liquid underneath where the brisket is going. Place a small cast iron pot or skillet directly onto the burner. Add damp wood chips. If you don't have a skillet, wrap a handful of chips into heavy duty foil and poke a couple holes in it. Turn the gas on the side with the wood onto high and close the lid. When you start to see smoke, add your meat and turn the burner to low. Shoot for a temp of around 235* inside the grill. You will need to replace the wood whenever it stops, probably every 30 minutes or so, at least for the first 3-4 hours depending on the size of the brisket and how much smoke flavor you want. Good luck!

Better yet, buy a Primo from Larry. The money you save on gas will pay for the Primo and the results will be so much better!

Kloset BBQR said:
Better yet, buy a Primo from Larry. The money you save on gas will pay for the Primo and the results will be so much better!

Why didn't I think about that?? Thanks Dallas! :LOL:

Cliff H. said:
Don't you have a wsm ?
No, I have a cheapo Brinkman smoker that I pretty much gave up on. I should have listened to you guys in the first place and got the WSM. :oops:

Did a brisket on the gasser not long back. Generally followed the game plan Larry described. Took out the bottom cooking grate and set a full size Sam's pan full of water direct on the burners. Put the brisket on the top rack where it was directly over the water pan. Turned all 3 burners to low (240-250) and tried to keep some smoke going using the perforated tinfoil method. After about 4 hours it got sopped and wrapped and stuck in the oven to finish. Came out edible. Cleanup was a breeze cuz all the gunk went in the water.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom