Breaded Grilled "Almost Fried" Chicken Wings (Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Made this recipe from the Dizzy Pig web site yesterday using the WSM without the water pan, and it was great, definitely worth trying.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html I used Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub.

Here's a few pics;

Just after turning the first time.

Right after applying the sauce.

Wings on left have Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce, little spicy for the wife and daughter.

If you got any questions, shoot.

Looks good Bruce....the mrs. and daughter...probalby would have liked the Dino Sauce better :roll: it's coming.

Did the wings direct over full chimney of lit Kingsford with the bottom vents closed and the top vent open. Placed wings on when temps got down to 275 degrees and then due to some time constraints on my part I raised the temps up to about 295-300 for most of the cook.

The wings with the Buffalo style sauce stayed really crunchy, the regular KC style sauced wings lost "some" of their crunchiness. If you would not sauce them and just used a dipping sauce they would be very crispy.

[smilie=banana.gif] [smilie=dancing_cow.gif] [smilie=drink.gif] [smilie=muffin.gif] [smilie=orange.gif] [smilie=thanks.gif] [smilie=wine.gif] [smilie=cactus_man.gif] [smilie=a_yumdumdoodledum.gif] [smilie=a_goodjob.gif] [smilie=a_partyguy.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

brian j said:
Unity said:
I'm not a big wings fan, Bruce, but yours look really good.

--John 8)
imho the wing is the best part of a bird. of course its also the worst for your heart. :cry:
If you have a fairly full white beard, after you eat a big serving of well-sauced wings, you have to go take a shower. :roll:

--John 8)
(The taste isn't what I'm not a big fan of. :( )

How did the breading turn out? Did it make more of the sauce stick to the wing? My wife likes a very crisp skin, but hates heavy breading.

dledmo said:
How did the breading turn out? Did it make more of the sauce stick to the wing? My wife likes a very crisp skin, but hates heavy breading.

The breading is not that heavy at all, in fact on the wings that I used the regular wing sauce, you probably wouldn't even guess there was breading on them and the skin/breading was very crisp.

The regular BBQ sauce crisped up somewhat but not as well.

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I have usually used Frank's for sauce. Do you do blue cheese for dipping? I use Marie's salad dressing, but would like something thicker. I did wings just yesterday, sorry no pics, relatively low temp on the gas grill to render the fat out, then higher to crisp the skin. Then a toss in the Frank's. My audience, wife and 2 kids, don't always want spicy so easier for them to apply sauce of choice after cooking.

I don't do the blue cheese thing and I'm in the same boat as you, wife and daughter aren't into spicy, although I'm starting to swing the daughter more my way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom