Bison Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vonDrehle

Assistant Cook
Hey guys,
This was my first attempt at grilling Bison and as far as I can remember my first time actually eating a Bison Steak. I read online before grilling it that it is best to use a little bit of a wet marinate to it so I added a Hot and Spicy marinade that I picked up today along with a little bit of garlic salt. I used the marinade as sparingly as possibly so really just added a couple drops to each side and rubbed it in. I also cooked up some Hoppin Johns and added a little bit of the hot and spicy marinade to them as well to make them a little more hoppin. I thought it turned out really well and I"ll definitely grill it again. I've got one more strip steak and some ground bison that I will probably be doing for lunch and dinner tomorrow. What can I say the lean cuisines just aren't cutting it :D. If you have any advise on grilling bison let me know I'm really just kind of shooting in the dark with it right now.

img_224001_0_4c8b5a8a5785ddbcaf57432ed7359e04.jpg

img_224001_1_a14d43b4c8d84f6e2202bb4f580e1d83.jpg

img_224001_2_12c154eff10a2b1f6324fea7590754e7.jpg

I was surprised how red it still was in the middle because based on the firmness when I pressed down on it I thought I had over cooked it.

Looks great Chris, wish I could find some Bison steaks around here. Whole foods may have some but i'm sure it aint cheap and I'm on a budget. Thanks for sharing and keep grillin my friend.

Nice job Chris. I've never had Bison before. Did it taste like chicken. No just kidding. I've had grass feed beef stake and it tastes different from corn feed beef. It doesn't have that fatty taste. I'm not complaining about that kind of taste, it's just different. How would you describe the taste of your stake? It looks kind of raw in the picture.

Great looking steak!!!!

Toby keil said:
wish I could find some Bison steaks around here.

Trader Joes carries bison but they don't have it all the time. Its hit and miss when I go there. When they do have it I stock up.

Thanks guys. The taste is hard to really explain. It was different then beef but it wasn't a gamey taste. But either way I thought it tasted good :D. I'm looking forward to splurging one night and trying out a Bison Ribeye. I actually ended up throwing it on the grill another 1-2 minutes after the pictures. It seems much redder in the picture than it actually was. And like I said before I was really surprised at how red it still was. The firmness from when I first put it on and to when I took it off and took that picture was completely different. If I had to compare it I would say it felt like it was going to be Medium based on the firmness so maybe that is one of the reasons they say to cook it with a wet marinade.

And I got the Bison at Whole Foods. They had ground, strip, and ribeye if I remember right. It was actually the first time I have ever gone to a Whole Foods and thought it was pretty nice. After watching the documentary Food Inc I definitely feel better about supporting organic/free range meat producers.

Chris,
This looks like a great meal. I love the hopping Johns, they look killer.
One thing about bison/buffalo/grass-fed beef too is that you don't want to cook it much more than medium; it will get tough on ya. The way that I explain the flavor is like a very mild venison/lamb flavor (not a lot, just a hint in the back notes).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom