Best $10 I've ever spent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dollarbill said:
Hey larry what did you use for charcoal? KF or ? maybe ill go look at the pics again.

It was Royal Oak Lump, but KF or RO briquettes would work just as well.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":19e9jxcc]They look great Larry. The bigest problem with grilling pizza is the heat that's lost when you open the pit. The stone stays hot but the doam temp is gone/lost. Your idea of lowering the cooking temp a good one, that allows for a longer cooking time. This gets the topping done in the same time the crust is ready. Pizza joints use high temp pizza ovens to get pies cooked fast. This allows them more finished product per hour=$$$
Their ovens are heavy fire brick lined & don't lose heat rapidly when opened. Or they use a wood or coal fired doamed pizza ovens which have no door at all.
Larry your Primo may be a better choice for pizza due to its thick ceramic walls & lid. You would still lose some doam heat when opened but it should recover quickly due to the heavy top. If you don't have a pizza peel, get one. Then have a helper lift the lid "just enough" to slip in & out the pies. The quicker you open & close that lid will make a big difference on how fast & evenly the pies cook.

JB, thank you for all of the advice and it would have certainly come in handy had my pizzas been a failure as in past attempts. However, I don't think I can recall ever making a better pizza than those three that I grilled on the Weber.

I mean, the crusts were crisp on the outside, but not burnt. The dough was tender, but thoroughly cooked. The cheese and additional cheese was thoroughly melted. How would a Primo have cooked them any better? I honestly am my worst critic, but I was very pleased with how these pizzas turned out. So much so that I was day dreaming today about making homemade pies this weekend. If they turn out half as good as the ones here, I will be very happy.

BTW, I haven't had a Primo in over a year now and honestly I have not missed either of them one bit. Not talking bad about them, but put price aside, the Weber kettles and WSM will produce a FAR SUPERIOR product over a Primo 10 x out of 10.

Also, what the phuck is a doam? :LOL:[/quote:19e9jxcc]

Oop's, wrong speeling huh?
Dome = lid = top of the Weber. Its dome shaped
Using a ceramic pit would just cook em quicker. It's like using sand in a water pan just as a heat sink for consistant temp control.

007bond-jb said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1zkpmmxg][quote="007bond-jb":1zkpmmxg]They look great Larry. The bigest problem with grilling pizza is the heat that's lost when you open the pit. The stone stays hot but the doam temp is gone/lost. Your idea of lowering the cooking temp a good one, that allows for a longer cooking time. This gets the topping done in the same time the crust is ready. Pizza joints use high temp pizza ovens to get pies cooked fast. This allows them more finished product per hour=$$$
Their ovens are heavy fire brick lined & don't lose heat rapidly when opened. Or they use a wood or coal fired doamed pizza ovens which have no door at all.
Larry your Primo may be a better choice for pizza due to its thick ceramic walls & lid. You would still lose some doam heat when opened but it should recover quickly due to the heavy top. If you don't have a pizza peel, get one. Then have a helper lift the lid "just enough" to slip in & out the pies. The quicker you open & close that lid will make a big difference on how fast & evenly the pies cook.

JB, thank you for all of the advice and it would have certainly come in handy had my pizzas been a failure as in past attempts. However, I don't think I can recall ever making a better pizza than those three that I grilled on the Weber.

I mean, the crusts were crisp on the outside, but not burnt. The dough was tender, but thoroughly cooked. The cheese and additional cheese was thoroughly melted. How would a Primo have cooked them any better? I honestly am my worst critic, but I was very pleased with how these pizzas turned out. So much so that I was day dreaming today about making homemade pies this weekend. If they turn out half as good as the ones here, I will be very happy.

BTW, I haven't had a Primo in over a year now and honestly I have not missed either of them one bit. Not talking bad about them, but put price aside, the Weber kettles and WSM will produce a FAR SUPERIOR product over a Primo 10 x out of 10.

Also, what the phuck is a doam? :LOL:[/quote:1zkpmmxg]

Using a ceramic pit would just cook em quicker. It's like using sand in a water pan just as a heat sink for consistant temp control.[/quote:1zkpmmxg]

Speeling? Salid? Doam? :LOL: JB go here PLEASE HERE

If both grills are constantly at 400º, how will one cook faster? :? Sure, the Weber will lose a little more heat due to it being uninsulated, but that's easily adjusted by increasing the air flow on the bottom vents, until the temps are stabilized.

Also FWIW, sand is not a heat sink, water is because it can only reach 212º. However sand actually is a heat baffle, but does create moderate 'radiant' heat because it can get hotter than 212º un-like water.

The only benefit a ceramic cooker 'MIGHT' have over a Weber is if it was -30º below due to it's insulating factor. Other than that, through my experience of cooking on 2 different size Primo's, there is NOT ONE BENEFIT over a much less expensive Weber. Just my opinion though.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":2ilqihhn][quote="Larry Wolfe":2ilqihhn][quote="007bond-jb":2ilqihhn]They look great Larry. The bigest problem with grilling pizza is the heat that's lost when you open the pit. The stone stays hot but the doam temp is gone/lost. Your idea of lowering the cooking temp a good one, that allows for a longer cooking time. This gets the topping done in the same time the crust is ready. Pizza joints use high temp pizza ovens to get pies cooked fast. This allows them more finished product per hour=$$$

Also, what the phuck is a doam? :LOL:[/quote:2ilqihhn]

Using a ceramic pit would just cook em quicker. It's like using sand in a water pan just as a heat sink for consistant temp control.[/quote:2ilqihhn]

Speeling? Salid? Doam? :LOL: JB go here PLEASE HERE

If both grills are constantly at 400º, how will one cook faster? :? Sure, the Weber will lose a little more heat due to it being uninsulated, but that's easily adjusted by increasing the air flow on the bottom vents, until the temps are stabilized.

Also FWIW, sand is not a heat sink, water is because it can only reach 212º. However sand actually is a heat baffle, but does create moderate 'radiant' heat because it can get hotter than 212º un-like water.

The only benefit a ceramic cooker 'MIGHT' have over a Weber is if it was -30º below due to it's insulating factor. Other than that, through my experience of cooking on 2 different size Primo's, there is NOT ONE BENEFIT over a much less expensive Weber. Just my opinion though.[/quote:2ilqihhn]

Oh I need to try pies on the grill one day,

Larry My speeling is fine, you need cajun languge translation software on you computer :LOL:

Griff said:
Larry, I never figured you to be a spelling Nazi. :LOL: :LOL:

He picked on my pie!!! So I picked on him back! ROFLMAO!! JB knows, I'm messin' wit him! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom