Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Another great weekend and some time to cook. We had beer can chicken (on a rack). I cooked a little hot and fast but besides the skin being a bit dark came out pretty good. I wish you could smell it as it is a keeper combination. The recipes are below.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUgK_zhBcuo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUgK_zhBcuo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Chicken: Room Temperature

Marinade: I began to marinate the bird in the early afternoon flipping it in the bowl whenever I walked by.

Table spoon or so each chopped Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. The more the merrier.
About 4 Tablespoons Honey
About 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
2 or so Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt
Fresh ground pepper wouldn't hurt

Beer Can Spices:
Stick of Cinnamon
8 or so cloves
4 or 6 whole Allsice
Water

Chicken was cooked at about 325 degrees (indirect) for about 45 or so minutes until the internal temperature was 170 degrees. You may want to cook it a little slower.

Enjoy,
Bryan

Great lookin bird & fine video too. I'll bet that combo of spices n herbs did smell fantastic

Is that a custom Char-Griller with a custom flame paint job with a bag of Cowboy natural lump coal?
Indeed Dat’ be one fine lookin’ bird

Toby, Me too. I was introduced through "Old and in the way" as I was raised on Bluegrass. Didn't see them live until 85 at Riverbend and saw a bunch of shows until 95 (Nashville). Now I get shows on CD from a buddy in Cincy but they are few and far between anymore. Luckily my tape deck still works and about 300 tapes to listen to. I need to figure out how to burn them to disc.

Take it easy,
Bryan

Griff, I was not aware it was called a ulu. I bought it about 15 years ago at the Berea Crafts Fair in Berea KY when I lived in Lexington. I am pretty sure the knife part of it was purchased but the bowl base was made by the craftsman I bought it from.

Berea Crafts Fair:http://www.bereacraftfestival.com/

Did a quick search to see if I could get a link to an artist or a store but there is little info except addresses etc. If you make it to Berea bring deep pockets as I thought it was expensive but there is the coolest crafts I have seen compared to any other fair or festival I attended.

Yep, it's an ulu alright. They are sometimes also called a "woman's knife" because traditionally the native women used them to prepare fish for drying and smoking. I call it a "pizza knive". :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom