Beef Wellington

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony M

Senior Cook
Got a great deal on some Beef Tenderloin! It pays to make friends with the butcher... even if he works at Costco! He gave me a package of tenderloin butts marked at the bulk filet price, saving me about 2 bucks per pound...
bw1.jpg

Figured I'd like to try to make beef Wellington. For the "paste" I used baby portobellos, fresh garlic, yellow onion, and a poblano chile.
bw2.jpg

I chopped them up and put 'em in the food processor. After chopping I put the mix into a hot skillet to bring down the water content.
bw4.jpg

I trimmed the tenderloin for a nice uniform roast to be used for the beef wellington. The rest of the tenderloin I cut into 8 filet mignon steaks, vac sealed and frozen for future meals. Yum.
bw3.jpg

Next I brushed with olive oil and seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Time to sear to seal in those wonderful juices!!
bw5.jpg

bw6.jpg

All sides seared... still raw inside though, which is good!
bw7.jpg

On top of plastic wrap, I laid out some thin sliced pruschetto ham and spread half of the mushroom/garlic/onion/chile mix. Laid the roast on top.
bw8.jpg

Brushed on some spicy yellow mustard
bw9.jpg

Topped off the roast with the rest of the mushroom spread and covered with more pruschetto ham.
bw10.jpg

Next up is to roll the roast tightly in the plastic wrap to shape, twisting the ends tightly.
bw11.jpg

Chill for 30 - 40 minutes to let everything cool and set in shape. Just out of the refrigerator with plastic wrap removed.. kept it's shape nicely!!
bw12.jpg

I put the roast on top of the puff-pastry
bw13.jpg

Using an egg-wash I used another sheet of puff-pastry, trimmed the excess, and put a little more egg wash on top to crisp it up.
bw14.jpg

Score the top of the roast, season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
bw15.jpg

Put it in the oven @ 425F until internal temp hits 110F. I used a new thermometer and I think it was off a bit, because the meat turned out a little more well done than I like (but still medium-rare)

Out of the oven, resting...
bw16.jpg

After resting about 15 minutes, I cut it open...
bw17.jpg

Plated!
bw18.jpg

This was Oh My God delicious! The filet was super tender and just melted in your mouth. The mushroom mix had a little kick from the chile and the pastry just rounded everything out. We had two lobster tails but they were done before the meat... what's on the plate is all that is left :)

- Tony M

Wow Tony..can only dittos whut them others said. Looks awesome. Nice to know rich folks who can afford Tenderloin and Proscutto:) Bet you one of the old wascally wepublicans. I'm forwarding this to Prez elect Osama. Hope you don't mind. He needs to know who is the rich folks is so he can tax em propaly.

bigwheel

Tony that looked great and the photos were excellent. The quality of the pics on this board is increasing exponentially.

That looks super, Last one I made the beef was done past rare :x Gimme Mooo rare

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom