beef back ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Never saw these in my grocery store before. I bought about 2 pounds.
Anyone have any tips on cooking 'em?

If your going to smoke them. Cook 'em like BBs.
221 ;)
Do you have a pic of the purchase?

Puff said:
If your going to smoke them. Cook 'em like BBs.
221 ;)
Do you have a pic of the purchase?
I don't have a smoker. Just a gas grill.

Set up your grill for indirect heat (only light 1 burner) place the ribs on the far side from the lit burner Put a chunk of wood on the lit burners sheild or vaporizer, smoke em @ 300 deg till the meat shrinks back from the bone on the small end about 1/2 to 3/4 in.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

They're nothing at all like pork baby backs. Pork bbs are off the loin. Beef back ribs are cut off the rib primal. You know those boneless rib roasts and rib eye steaks? Well those beef back ribs you bought are why those roasts and steaks are boneless.

JB is right about prep. He cooks at a slightly higher temp than I'd recommend -- about 250. But six of one half a doz of the other, it won't make much difference.

Only thing I can add is don't use a sweet rub. Put the ribs in a pan and splash the meat side with some red wine and worcestershire sauce. You just want to get it wet, not drown it. Make a rub with 4 tbs kosher salt, 2 tbs sweet paprika, 1 tbs fresh ground black pepper, 2 tsp granulated garlic, 2 tsp granulated onion, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp sage, 1/2 tsp chile de arbol or New Mexico Chili Powder. Give the wine and worcestershire at least 15 minutes to work it's magic, then apply the rub to the meat side only, don't bother with the bone side. Save any left over rub, it's an excellent steak rub.

Rich

Puff,

Why would you have a problem? I meant they're not from the same part of the anatomy as pork bbs, and they don't like sweet like pork does. If in fact, you like a sweet rub on beef, what can I say? We like different things.

Rich

boar_d_laze said:
Puff,

Why would you have a problem? I meant they're not from the same part of the anatomy as pork bbs, and they don't like sweet like pork does. If in fact, you like a sweet rub on beef, what can I say? We like different things.

Rich
That's what BBQ forums are all about ;) Different :idea: 's

boar_d_laze said:
I meant they're not from the same part of the anatomy as pork bbs
I'm not sure I'm following you, Rich. Whether it belongs to a hog or a steer, the ribcage is made up of 12 pairs of ribs, left and right, articulating to the 12 thoracic vertebrae. Pork and beef ribs are anatomically equivalent. The muscles that attach to them are anatomically and structurally alike -- they move the same parts of the animals' skeletal systems. I think what you're saying is that hogs and steers are butchered somewhat differently, which is a cultural thing.

--John 8)

John,

I'm not a butcher, but as I understand it, pork "baby backs" are taken from the part of the loin primal nearest the tail, and beef " backs" are taken from the rib primal which is near the shoulder. More precisely, beef back ribs are sternals, but pork baby back rib racks are all of the asternal and some to all of the sternal. Two different, although overlapping, parts of the mammals' anatomy.

Also, I believe most modern pork breeds have a few more vertebrae, and thus, rib pairs than modern beeves.

This may be getting bizarrely technical. And of course, I could be wrong.

Rich

Okay, thanks, Rich, that helps get us on the same reference points -- my generalizations were too simple. :oops: I found a Web site that does a pretty good job of explaining the pork rib cuts. I didn't find a comparable beef diagram showing the bones, but this one is pretty good.

I like learning about how stuff works. :D

--John 8)

Alrite yall When I get home I'm get out my Cook's bible. They have a big section on cuts of ribs & what is what, who & why.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom