Air/Dry Aged Ribeyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolinaQue

Senior Cook
All this talk about steak lately has me hankering for a good piece of grilled flesh.

So with that in mind, I picked up a 4 pack of 1" thick ribeyes from Sam's and have them aging in the basement fridge for a "thank you" steak dinner on Saturday.

Let's just say that I can't wait until Saturday!!! :P :D

Tim

Brian,

I lined a cookie sheet with paper towels and placed the steaks on a wire rack so air can circulate all around the meat. I turn them over on the 6's...6 a.m and again at 6 p.m. I'm going to age them for about 5 days like this and then cook them about 3 to 4 minutes a side on a 500* or so fire.

Nick,

From what I understand, it concentrates the beef flavor by pushing out the water. Kind of the same reason you cook sauces down to evaporate moisture to concentrate the flavors.

This is the very first time that I have done this, but I've been told that it's a similar method that high end steak places use for their steaks. I also understand that this makes the steak more tender.

Another thing that I was told was not to put anything on the meat while it's aging or the meat will cure instead of age.

Tim

CarolinaQue said:
Nick,

From what I understand, it concentrates the beef flavor by pushing out the water. Kind of the same reason you cook sauces down to evaporate moisture to concentrate the flavors.

This is the very first time that I have done this, but I've been told that it's a similar method that high end steak places use for their steaks. I also understand that this makes the steak more tender.

Another thing that I was told was not to put anything on the meat while it's aging or the meat will cure instead of age.

Tim

Tim, please post the results. I'm curious to see this. If it looks okay, I'll try it on my wife first!

Aging takes place when the side is on the hook in the reefer. If you don't die, let me know. I'll get Finney to try it :LOL:

DATsBBQ said:
Aging takes place when the side is on the hook in the reefer. If you don't die, let me know. I'll get Finney to try it :LOL:

Aging can happen many different ways.

Individual steaks should be aged this way for no more than 5 days, and no less than 3 days.

I am married with a 6 yr old daughter. I would never do anything that wasn't safe. Trust me, a lot of research went into this before I committed.

I will post pics and results when done.

Tim

No arguing the point here. The pic has a lot of soul. Was just curious. My wife is a phtographer.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom