a fatty, I had no idea....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
....how good these things are ! I'm addicted.....
So, for my first ever "fatty" I used 1 lb.each of hot italian sausage and JD sausage and stuffed it with sliced crimini mushrooms, shallots, crumbled goat cheese, fresh ground pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, thyme, and a sprinkle of truffle salt. And wrapped in bacon.
On grill over indirect heat, using lump coal (leftover pieces of oak and mesquite) and a few chunks of hickory wood. Cooked to an internal temp of 160. It was delicious !
Since it was Cinco de Mayo and this really wasn't a Mexican meal, I drank a "nice" amount of Tequila just for the occasion :D ;)

Those things look soooo good!!! I don't even think I could do the bacon weave without screwing it up. LOL Do you use toothpicks to hold it all together?

bbquzz said:
FR if you get to the point where sausage, bacon and the stuffing are not decadent enough add one more layer of flavor.... :mrgreen:

I probably shouldn't admit to this but, I could eat that.... at least once :shock: :D We don't have a Krispy Keme donuts here, people are always flying back into Juneau with bags or boxes of them !

@Lew, the Grand Marnier and tequila were for me ;) ( it was cinco de mayo, blend a little tequila, triple sec, fresh lime and add a floater shot of Grand Marnier on top, yummy )

@Buckeye, no toothpicks were used; but the tequila was impairing my motor skills just a tad bit. If you look closely, I totally screwed up the weaving job. :LOL: but yet, it still tasted so wonderful !

Traegernator said:
I wonder why they're called "Fatty". Lol.... Yours looks great!!
hawk wild bbq co said:
yeah I bet you have alot of mexicans up there to celebrate cinco de mayo dont you friesian....nice looking fatty..

Well, I'm sure the caloric values on this gourmet meal were very low :LOL: ;)

Oh, ya, lots of Mexican people here.... I wish ! :( Here you can order up a side gyros with your taco's and mongolian beef! :roll:

friesian_rain said:
bbquzz said:
FR if you get to the point where sausage, bacon and the stuffing are not decadent enough add one more layer of flavor.... :mrgreen:

@Buckeye, no toothpicks were used; but the tequila was impairing my motor skills just a tad bit. If you look closely, I totally screwed up the weaving job. :LOL: but yet, it still tasted so wonderful !
The toughest looking part about doing a fatty is that damn bacon weave.....I'm not sure I can pull it off without it all falling apart!! LOL...I guess I just need to try. It must be easier than it looks.

I saw you used 2lbs of ground meat, but how much bacon is needed for a proper fatty weave?

Back
Top Bottom