THE OFFICIAL SOTB FALL 2006 THREAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally starting to recover from a long weekend. It is always fun to get together with Finney, Larry and Rev. Marvin. Laughs are always plentiful with that crowd. Especially with Finney's pink/red crocks! :LOL:

Puff, you are a brave man battling the storm for the contest. It was a pleasure meeting you dude. Hope to do it again sometime.

Cappy, Scott and I had a good time. The site was a little muddy and was quite surprised none of us end up on our ass at least once. What can you expect the day after a tropical storm! :shock:

Hopefully, all of us will score/do better next time, in the spring.

Almost forgot!
Cappy & the monkey man in action!
The pleasure was all mine GQ!

SMOKE ON THE BEACH (2) SEPTEMBER 2006

MYRTLE BEACH, SC

Rank Team Name Final Score
1 Swine Time BBQ 49.530
2 High Rollers 48.775
3 JT's BBQ 48.150
3 Flaming Pig 48.150
4 Chuckwagon 47.935
5 Cooktenders 47.825
6 Taste of Wando #2 47.650
7 M & M BBQ Kings 47.600
8 Nuttin Butt Blues BBQ 47.575
9 Confederate Cookers 47.555
10 Burbage's Bar-B-Que Crew 47.486
11 Carolina Cookers 47.400
12 Pop Pete's Whole Hog 47.160
13 Gause Mobile Grilling Service 47.150
14 www.BBQ-4-U.com 47.050
15 Swamp Sauce Smokers 47.000
16 Ray & Lyn's BBQ 46.960
17 Southern Que-N-Stew 46.843
18 R & K Cookers 46.770
19 R & R Cookers 46.650
20 Backyard BBQ 46.371
21 Golden Rocket BBQ 46.286
22 Fred Tisdale 46.250
23 B & Crew BBQ 46.140
24 Kilted Kilby BBQ Team 46.000
25 T-Modelers II 45.900
26 Black Jack BBQ 45.840
27 Captain Morgan 45.750
28 Inlet Boyz BBQ 45.650
29 Palmetto Cookers 45.600
30 The Butt Burners 45.590
31 Carolina Traveler 45.580
32 Omar 500's 45.350
33 Old Charleston Smokers 45.250
34 No Bonz About It BBQ 45.030
35 Bacon in the Sun 44.900
36 Hoof & Finz #3 44.900
37 Road Kill Grilling Team 44.850
38 Oakcrest Smokers 44.750
39 Alveron Cookers 44.700
40 Long Ridge Smokers 44.375
41 Bubba's Backyard BBQ 44.000
42 Omar Volunteers 43.350
43 Big John's Backwood Que Sauce 43.150
44 Hoof & Finz #1 43.140
45 Taste of Wando #1 43.100
46 Boogie's BBQ 43.071
47 Broom Mill BBQ 42.850
48 Cameron Cookers 42.330
49 Omar Hillbilly Clan #82 Outhouse #2 42.086
50 Home Boyz 41.829
51 Southern States BBQ 41.475
52 Choo Choo BBQ #1 40.900
53 Hoof & Finz #2 40.700
54 Choo Choo BBQ #2 40.050
55 Murray BBQ 39.750
56 Rocking Pig Disqualified

Ten points between first and worst, results calculated out to three decimal places -- man, that is what I call precision judging. :shock:

--John 8)
(Too bad precise doesn't mean the same thing as accurate. :roll: )

I should add, I'm not anywhere near a competition-caliber bbq'er, just making an offhand observation. I used to be a soccer referee, and I know what it's like to have my judgment questioned by the aggrieved side. Like diving and gymnastics and skating, food judging is probably impossible to make as objective as, oh, skeet.

--John 8)

Unity said:
I should add, I'm not anywhere near a competition-caliber bbq'er, just making an offhand observation. I used to be a soccer referee, and I know what it's like to have my judgment questioned by the aggrieved side. Like diving and gymnastics and skating, food judging is probably impossible to make as objective as, oh, skeet.

--John 8)

Yep ya cant please everybody you just do the best you can do.

Captain Morgan said:
way to go to Walter! How'd you get the scores so fast?

Lets just say I know who post them , am patient and am willing to wait , I mean dang they had 2 events on the same weekend , takes time to get all that paper work and scores dwon no matter what anyone may tell ya , it can be a pain in the ass to get em done. Now we work on the score sheet delima .

Captain Morgan said:
I and others appreciate your efforts!

I will do all I can towards this I know whats its like on the other end and I will always remind anyone of that fact, I feel that makes me a better judge as well.

So, let me tell you about my weekend. I head down to the beach to cook some hog with some guys I know. I get there, and apparently, there was a "fanny-pack-wearers" and "wife-beater-tshirt-wearers" convention being held at the same location. ALL of these folks got the memo that said, "make sure to ask the guys cooking the stupiedest questions you can come up with." They did. Then, out of nowhere, about 178 guys in funny hats start swarming like bees and begging for $5 donations. They seemed completely oblivious to the fact that some people in attendance were there to compete in a couple of cooking contests and were not particularly interested in the chance to win a "gentleman's pinky diamond ring." They would have had much more success with the wife beaters and fanny pack crowd. Oh yeah, I did get to hang out with some friends of mine and cook some pretty decent hog. Met a guy that talked with a funny accent. Think he said he was from somewhere near the "mo-tah" city. All in all, I would have to descibe my weekend as " a rancid slice of Americana."
Seriously, had a blast! Great to meet Puff and FrayedNot (excellent job on the speedies). And I'm only half kidding about the Shriners. They do a great job raising tons of money for a great cause. See y'all in the Spring...if Finney promises not to wear those shoes again. Once again, it's always my pleasure to see all you guys. Thanks for letting me hang out with you.

Rev.Jr. said:
So, let me tell you about my weekend. I head down to the beach to cook some hog with some guys I know. I get there, and apparently, there was a "f*n*y-pack-wearers" and "wife-beater-tshirt-wearers" convention being held at the same location. ALL of these folks got the memo that said, "make sure to ask the guys cooking the stupiedest questions you can come up with." They did. Then, out of nowhere, about 178 guys in funny hats start swarming like bees and begging for $5 donations. They seemed completely oblivious to the fact that some people in attendance were there to compete in a couple of cooking contests and were not particularly interested in the chance to win a "gentleman's pinky diamond ring." They would have had much more success with the wife beaters and f*n*y pack crowd. Oh yeah, I did get to hang out with some friends of mine and cook some pretty decent hog. Met a guy that talked with a funny accent. Think he said he was from somewhere near the "mo-tah" city. All in all, I would have to descibe my weekend as " a rancid slice of Americana."
Seriously, had a blast! Great to meet Puff and FrayedNot (excellent job on the speedies). And I'm only half kidding about the Shriners. They do a great job raising tons of money for a great cause. See y'all in the Spring...if Finney promises not to wear those shoes again. Once again, it's always my pleasure to see all you guys. Thanks for letting me hang out with you.
We'll miss you in the spring when we win. :roll:

The language barrier is one thing I forgot to mention.
If you just add "I reckon", "shoot", or "purt near" at the end of every sentence it was easier to understand. :D

Back
Top Bottom