THE OFFICIAL SOTB FALL 2006 THREAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry, but did I miss where Cappy finished?

13th is a poor showing for you two! Shame on your for ruining my good name!! 50 lashes for each of you!

Just kidding...13th out of that many teams is VERY good considering you only have one meat to cook. Did you guys get to sample the winner's product??

Can't say where I finished...I I heard I was in the 20s, but after spending an hour at the SCBA trailor waiting on the scores (they only printed one copy) I was told the guy with the copy had left. I won't be able to find
out till Tuesday at the earliest. Not happy about that....as usual, the SCBA
is more concerned with themselves than the cookers. But since I'm not a member, I have to take what I can get. I'm still waiting to see the organziation become at least a little oriented to cookers, both pro and public, instead of judging.

Anyway, I had hoped for top 10 and am bitterly disappointed. More shocked that BBQ 4 U wans't top 3, because I don't how anyone could
have put up a better product. However, as I've been saying since I won, you've got to be lucky. Judging, no matter how trained and experienced
the judges are, is still subjective.

Garland and I had breakfast this morning and discussed several
problems we felt were obvious with our turn in. And we already know
how to fix them. I was just not careful enough this time.

That said, a big congrats to Swine Time, some friends of mine
from Murrells Inlet who swept both categories...which is almost
impossible to do ( ;) ). Great people, and I'm glad to say that
the trophies from our local contest will remain here on the
Grand Strand.

Captain Morgan said:
Can't say where I finished...I I heard I was in the 20s, but after spending an hour at the SCBA trailor waiting on the scores (they only printed one copy) I was told the guy with the copy had left. I won't be able to find
is more concerned with themselves than the cookers. But since I'm not a member, I have to take what I can get. I'm still waiting to see the organziation become at least a little oriented to cookers, both pro and public, instead of judging.

Well give it some time all good things take time to come to pass . Hey they had a good seminar on BBQ sauce both making and bottling and are planning on having another. If more cookers become judges maybe we can make that happen , after all those of us that have competed has a beter understaning of what it takes to make and present competiton BBQ.

Anyway, I had hoped for top 10 and am bitterly disappointed. More shocked that BBQ 4 U wans't top 3, because I don't how anyone could
have put up a better product. However, as I've been saying since I won, you've got to be lucky. Judging, no matter how trained and experienced

Amen thats the truth and it will always be so at any given event anyone can win or score lower , there is no set way to gaurantty to win.

Garland and I had breakfast this morning and discussed several
problems we felt were obvious with our turn in. And we already know
how to fix them. I was just not careful enough this time.

Hey stuff happens you learn from mistakes .

That said, a big congrats to Swine Time, some friends of mine
from Murrells Inlet who swept both categories...which is almost
impossible to do ( ;) ). Great people, and I'm glad to say that
the trophies from our local contest will remain here on the
Grand Strand.

Congrats to all who competed !!!

Again, a big thank you to Frayed Knot from our board here. He made
some fabulous chicken speedies Friday night, and worked his tail off
before having to leave Saturday. Thanks again Scott, you're welcome
on my team any time.

Also to Jack W, who brought us a fabulous squash pie, and as always
his and Mary's company. I knew he felt my pain, and he made sure
I didn't go slit my wrists with cleavers. :)

Obviously they didn't award any style points, or you guys would have finished 1 and 2. Congratulations on a good showing!

Congratulations to everyone who cooked at Smoke on the Beach. Mary and I attended the event as judges this year. We judged Anything butt pork and the Pork contest the next day. Swine Time BBQ won both catagories at the event. Everett and Penny are two of the best BBQ folks you would ever want to meet. They cooked Blackened Steak, Scallop, and Shrimp over rice pilaf. It was fantastic. I think both of the BBQ 4 U teams had great entries.

JT's BBQ came in 3rd. I'm proud to say that I have worked closely with Tim Handy in the past. He is a very good cook, and a proud family man. I'm lucky to be able to call him one of my peers.

As Judges we had to keep our time at the cook tents to a pop in and out routine. It was great to meet Puff and Frayed Knot. It's always nice to put a face to a name. Those speedies were fantastic dude!

It's always a pleasure to get together with Larry and his family. They are a truely nice bunch of folks. It was also great to taste Larry's food. I was fortunate enough to get my sample of Wolfe rub bold and a restock for my Wolfe rub. The ribs were great and the brisket was a treat. I'm working on a new process for my comp. brisket. You helped me realize that you can foil a brisket and not ruin it.

Woody, it was a pleasure to meet your wife. She's got to be a saint to put up with the likes of you. I missed my opportunity to restock my Rev. Marvin's sauce. I'll get with you soon.

Finney is one of a kind. The red Crocks brought you to a new level son.
Nice to see Tricia again, I hope we can all get together soon.

Cappy and The Big GQ were at the top of their game bringing fame to
Captain Morgan and the Misfits. Frayed Knot played TB. It's a pleasure to be in the company of winners. The peach cobbler was excellant. The ice cream was a little loose by the time it hit the table.

All in all it was a Class A number 1 weekend. We broke out the traveling Margarita bag and tried a new mix called The Mojito. Very refreshing, very clean, no headache, good with the girls.

Good Q and great job!

Jack

Sounds like all of you guys did a great job of cooking and representing this forum….the results may not have been what you hoped for or what you guys deserved (blame it on that damn yankee Puff being there :D ) but we know you’ll get them next year.

Captain Morgan said:

It has come to my attention that I was wrong in my comments about the SCBA. The comp organizers, not the SCBA, are responsible for
providing the scores. I apologize to those members of the SCBA at
their campsite who were witness to my frustration. It was misplaced.
I'm also aware that some have called me a sore loser......I think the quote from me above clearly indicates that I was surprised that
BBQ 4 U.com didn't get top 3...I knew my product wasn't top 10 when I turned it in, and said that to a SCBA member.

I was wrong to criticize the SCBA for not having the scores. But I've never said the SCBA was responsible for my scores. I think they have
judged me fairly.

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":118l4d09]Can't say where I finished...I I heard I was in the 20s, but after spending an hour at the SCBA trailor waiting on the scores (they only printed one copy) I was told the guy with the copy had left. I won't be able to find

It has come to my attention that I was wrong in my comments about the SCBA. The comp organizers, not the SCBA, are responsible for
providing the scores. I apologize to those members of the SCBA at
their campsite who were witness to my frustration. It was misplaced.
I'm also aware that some have called me a sore loser......I think the quote from me above clearly indicates that I was surprised that
BBQ 4 U.com didn't get top 3...I knew my product wasn't top 10 when I turned it in, and said that to a SCBA member.

I was wrong to criticize the SCBA for not having the scores. But I've never said the SCBA was responsible for my scores. I think they have
judged me fairly.[/quote:118l4d09]

Cappy, I don't think your a sore loser at all. What I like about you is that you tell it like it is!

Well I don't know what you told them at their site, but I didn't see anything wrong with your comments here.

I think the the SCBA should provide the score sheets as you leave the event. They are the ones that process and tabulate the results. I posted this last night on their site and I'm sure I will get slammed for it... but I don't care. It's what I think.
The KCBS events I've been at, you leave with everyone's scores for all cats, and a breakdown of the judges scoring for your entries.

Finney said:
Well I don't know what you told them at their site, but I didn't see anything wrong with your comments here.

I think the the SCBA should provide the score sheets as you leave the event. They are the ones that process and tabulate the results. I posted this last night on their site and I'm sure I will get slammed for it... but I don't care. It's what I think.
The KCBS events I've been at, you leave with everyone's scores for all cats, and a breakdown of the judges scoring for your entries.

Well its something that can be discussed at the next meeting of the SCBA and if its not brought up it will be by me. The SCBA shouls be about everyone the judges , the cookers , contest organizers, and anyone who helps as far as I am concerned.

After getting hit head on by Ernesto I can say it was well worth the trip to Myrtle. It was great meeting all of you. 13th out of 58 teams is a great score in my book! :D
I just wish I could remember a little more about Friday [smilie=drink.gif]
Her's a few pics, including Finney and his ruby slippers :LOL:

Iwas a little surprised when Larry asked me to take a pic of his butts :shock:

Finney & Cappy, It appears to me the main complaint is the scores were not readily available following the awards announcements. I, as a member of the SCBA, think this is a great idea and will be more then happy to bring this suggestion to the proper people so the Omar Shriner’s can benefit from the feedback for improvement. This is an event organizer decision, not the SCBA.

We are asked by contest organizers to judge their events. We are only there to judge the event. We DO NOT run the event. There is no charge to the event. The SCBA members themselves foot all the expenses. The members, not the SCBA, personally own those travel trailers. The organization is not the status or membership level of MIM or KCBS. But we are working on it. Please view the SCBA in this manner and consider joining and becoming part of the solutions.

Now with that said, the SCBA is a young, learning and growing organization. It is feedback like yours that helps us grow. :)

Back
Top Bottom