THE OFFICIAL SMOKE ON THE BEACH THREAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain Morgan said:
Woody (Rev Marvini is alive and fairly well. Scratched lens after the end of the bungee whipped into his eye (no, Larry didn't do it.). We left him in the hospital after his family arrived. Just a quick note. Rev was the hit of the party, and had most of us rolling on asphalt all weekend. He looks and sounds like Ernest T. Bass. I don't know if the podcast will be published, but listening to his part, well, better get some kleenex.
After saying that, and knowing that all of you will put Rev. Jr. (Woody Lynch) in your prayers, I'd like to report the good and bad news.'

Dang came back with injuries Niki and I both wish Rev. Marvin well!!

We entered 2 contests...Anything Butt and Pork.

Our entry of Fire Roasted Gazpacho with Gourmet Cheese Toast and
Shrimp Garnish won....First Place. Big, Big trophy. Before anyone else comes here and claims credit, it was all Finney. Not only did he convince us all to enter that bizarre recipe, he did all the work. I peeled
and chopped a cucumber. That was it. Finney took home the trophy, and received a lot of praise from everyone at the event.

First aint bad at all is it congrats!!!

As far as our team fared.......sorry guys. We voted on BBQ prepared
by Capt. Morgan, Larry Wolfe and Chris Finney in a blind judging, and chose Finneys. At that point we worked as a team to prepare what we thought was a fabulous looking box. This year, the competition was split into Shriners and Non Shriners. There were about 16 nons, and about 14 Shriner teams. In our category, non Shriner, we did not finish in the top 10. In fact, we heard we were about 13th of about 16. Official results are coming. Sorry to let you guys down. We had a blast until Rev. got hurt. We have a big trophy and a first place to show for our efforts.

Hey at least ya finished somewere in the middle better than last I would say!

Larry and I have a lot of pics to post, and we will, but for now, need to rest.[

Great look foward to seeing the pics , wil take some pics of me using my smoker for the first time , doing 2 full slabs of spare ribs Sunday!!

OUCH!!!!, I scratched my cornea looking for a glof ball in a spruce tree once. Most painful injury I ever had. Not only can't you keep that eye open, It hurts to keep the other one open as well! GREAT JOB on the job you guys did! Getting first place in ANYTHING is great! Next time, I hope I can meet you guys at one of these! Woody

I'd encourage any of us to get together with any board member at a competition. They are tons of fun and a great learning experience, and can actually be rewarding on occasion. Finney won 200 bucks and
a 700 dollar gift card.

Back to the drawing board on my butt though. It was too bland, and I didn't think it had enough smoke flavor. Out on site judge, Big GQ said it was also mushy. Maybe I overcooked it or over injected it..

Should be fun making it better though.

Captain Morgan said:
I'd encourage any of us to get together with any board member at a competition. They are tons of fun and a great learning experience, and can actually be rewarding on occasion. Finney won 200 bucks and
a 700 dollar gift card.

WELL ALRIGHTY THEN I WOULD LOVE TO GET TOGETHER WITH YA ANYTIME , AFTER I GET MY SCBA JUDGES CERTIFIED APRON WHICH WILL BE AT KINGSTREE,IF YALL WIL ALLOW ME I CAN HELP AT ONE OF THE COMPETITIONS ITS BEEN ALONG WHILE SINCE I DID THAT , AND I HAD FUN DOING THAT.

Back to the drawing board on my butt though. It was too bland, and I didn't think it had enough smoke flavor. Out on site judge, Big GQ said it was also mushy. Maybe I overcooked it or over injected it.. Should be fun making it better though.

I HAD THAT HAPPEN TO ME MORE THAN ONCE , AND YOU ARE RIGHT ITS FUN COMING UP WITH NEW WAYS TO FIX STUFF.

Walter I may or may not compete at Kingstree, but I will probably stop by at some point...I'll look for you if I do. Congrats on the Certification, wear the apron with pride! Also next time I compete, I will contact you, I'd love to have you on board.

Captain Morgan said:
a 700 dollar gift card.

Back to the drawing board on my butt though. It was too bland, and I didn't think it had enough smoke flavor. Out on site judge, Big GQ said it was also mushy. Maybe I overcooked it or over injected it..

Humm, Just plain old over complicated it. #-o :grin:

Captain Morgan said:
Walter I may or may not compete at Kingstree, but I will probably stop by at some point...I'll look for you if I do. Congrats on the Certification, wear the apron with pride! Also next time I compete, I will contact you, I'd love to have you on board.

WOW thank you so much, I heard the POD Cast of yall there and it brought back may happy memories of those days when I did compete with the South Carolina Swiners , I wish my old firends would still compete but they lost interest but I never had, I have tried to find some folks around here that might like to but in 5 years of trying no luck , that why I went to judging, I figure the teams competeing would like to have someone who did competet judge tthem, I think its important that you have some knowledge of what it took to fix the meats to render a fair judgement. Ahh well tie for me to get things in gear here I am fireing up my 55 gallon drum smoker and doing 3 slabs of pork spare ribs for my wife and I today, have a great day.

I'm at work, I'll post some pics when I get home in about 30 minutes.
Larry is leaving Myrtle this morning, won't be home till tonight.

Captain Morgan said:
I'm at work, I'll post some pics when I get home in about 30 minutes.
Larry is leaving Myrtle this morning, won't be home till tonight.

Ok I used to hate Sunday shifts when I worked full time as a firefighter , was way boring. Did that for 23 years , started when I was 16 my fahter had to sign for me to join and all that was rolling hose, washing fire trucks, etc. was 17 when I fought my first fire , last year our town went public saftey they got rid of ole fellas and went to younger personel, good thing was that has given me time to enjoy life now and get down to what I really enjoy and thats BBQing. I work at the family business , a local hardware store here in Denmark SC. I get every other Sat off now so I have to pick and choose my events by that.

Rev Marvin grilled some of his chicken to pass out to folks.

Ever wonder how a mentally challenged person tends his fire?

Below is Jack W, who, along with his wife Mary, spent most of the night with us after judging Anything Butt. He also judged the q.

Jack's better half is below center.

Team member Big GQ received an Ambassador Badge from the SCBA.

The whole crew...Rev. Jr, aka Ernest T., is on the right.

I'm the good looking guy on the right. Also pictured with my wife and in the pic with Garland getting his ambassador badge. Being in a picture with Garland sure does improve a mans appearance. :D

I still have a headache. I think I'll watch football and get a nap.

Good Q!

Jack

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom