The Official Fall SOTB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone heard how the meat for this contest will be handled? Will they provide hog, shoulders, and ribs, or do we bring our own? I would prefer to bring my own ribs.

BayouBBQ said:
Has anyone heard how the meat for this contest will be handled? Will they provide hog, shoulders, and ribs, or do we bring our own? I would prefer to bring my own ribs.

Amen to that , I perfer loin back ribs that I get from Sams for here at the house .

Okay... Just talked to Joe Lane (Chairman of SOTB), the "rumors" are just rumors. :roll:

There will be a car given away, but it has nothing to do with the cookoff placings. It's a raffle that anyone can enter.

At this point things are still getting worked out but below is what it's looking like.

Whole hog is not mandatory. You can cook either butts OR whole hog for your Pork entry.
Other cats include Chicken, Ribs and Sauce.

"AB" also not mandatory but if you enter you must have "at least" 100 servings for the public or you will be DQ-ed. It must also be prepared on-site.
They are also "thinking" of adding a seperate Dessert catagory.

Pork will have the highest payout of the individual catagories, followed by chicken and ribs. Then there will be a payout for "GC".

Grand Champion will be determined by total scores of Pork, Chicken, and Ribs.

well this is going to get interesting...the two hosts...MB Chamber of
Commerce and the Shriners....are putting out conflicting info....
can't wait to find out more...I'll make a call tomorrow.

Captain Morgan said:
well this is going to get interesting...the two hosts...MB Chamber of
Commerce and the Shriners....are putting out conflicting info....
can't wait to find out more...I'll make a call tomorrow.

Well the chamber hosts the festival... the Shriners host the BBQ Comp. They are the ones that decide what happens in it.

BayouBBQ said:
What cut of chicken ar they expecting? halves or whole? or will it be like KCBS with at least 6 individual pieces in the box?

Not sure on this Russ but my understanding is that it will be more towards the KCBS turn-in than the "stupid" whole or half chicken.

I will let you know more when I do. Joe Lane has promissed to call me when anything is firmed up. "What the Hell", I'll call him and ask. You have a preference? I guess you can tell mine by the paragraph above. LOL

I don't really have a preference, not that I would say after hearing your opinion :) . The KCBS way is fine with me.
This may be a moot point for me anyway. I'm now considering SOTB over Boonehall since they've added the extra categories, but still have not made a decision. I guess I'll decide on where to go once details come out with each comp.

No reply from my email to the chamber girl yet....I'm hoping
Joe is right about this..

SOTB teams have begged for extra categories for years, even
just one...now we get chicken and ribs...that's going to rock.

Joe is right...this is from the updated entry form.

Competition Categories: Entry Fees Total Amount Enclosed:
□ Whole Hog □ Butts $200 $200.00 Minimum
Optional Categories:
□ Ribs $100 ________________
□ Chicken $100 ________________
□ Sauce No Entry Fee
□ Dessert No Entry Fee
Mandatory Category:
Anything Butt (Required) No Entry Fee
Name/Description of Entry for Anything Butt ______________________________
TOTAL AMOUNT ENCLOSED WITH ENTRY FORM
stupid chamber girls

Grand Prize $5,000

Aug. 31 - Sept. 1, 2007 - Myrtle Beach
Former Air Force Base - All Events Open To The Public

Preliminary schedule for BBQ cooking teams:

2007 Smoke on the Beach BBQ Competition Entry Form (.doc)
Smoke on the Beach Flyer (PDF)

Friday, Aug. 31st

9 a.m. Check-in for Teams - Teams to Register
4 p.m. Cook's Meeting
6 p.m. Judging Begins - Anything But Pork Contest
6-8 p.m. Corporate Hospitality Tent Open

When scores available - Awards Ceremony -
Anything But Pork Contest - Introduce People

Saturday, Sept 1st

10 a.m. Judging Begins - BBQ Contest
4 p.m. Awards Ceremony - BBQ Contest

Prizes for
Best Booth / Showmanship
Friday, August 31, 2007

Awards
Download award info (PDF)

Grand Champion - $3,000
2nd Place - $1,000
3rd Place - $500

Categories
(3 Categories - Whole Hog/Butts ◦ Ribs ◦ Chicken)

1st Place $ 1,000 6th Place $ 200
2nd Place 600 7th Place 100
3rd Place 500 8th Place 100
4th Place 400 9th Place 50
5th Place 300 10th Place 50
Anything Butt Dessert Sauce
1st Place $1,000 1st Place $ 300 1st Place $ 300
2nd Place 500 2nd Place 100 2nd Place 100
3rd Place 250 3rd Place 50 3rd Place 50
4th Place 150
5th Place 100

The Smoke on the Beach BBQ Festival, in conjunction with the Beach Boogie & BBQ Festival, is sanctioned by the SC BBQ Association. This event is also the Official Barbeque Championship in South Carolina. Judging starts on Saturday morning, September 1, 2007, using the blind judging technique. The contest consists of three categories which are required entry in order to qualify for the Grand Championship award.

CATEGORIES
WHOLE HOG OR BUTTS • RIBS • CHICKEN

Whole Hogs and butts will be supplied to those competing in that category. Contestants must provide their own ribs and chicken for judging. All entries must be prepared on site.

The Anything Butt contest is held on Friday. Entries may include any item other than pork, and they must be prepared on site. No desserts will be allowed in the Anything Butt category. Separate categories for sauce and desserts will also be judged.

Captain Morgan said:
Grand Prize $5,000

Aug. 31 - Sept. 1, 2007 - Myrtle Beach
Former Air Force Base - All Events Open To The Public

Preliminary schedule for BBQ cooking teams:

2007 Smoke on the Beach BBQ Competition Entry Form (.doc)
Smoke on the Beach Flyer (PDF)

Ok I am now reconsidering this event to cook in it , I have plenty of time to gather funds to enter , will call a team meeting to get everyones input on this one its well worth the money . Got the new canopy and am going to a local graphics place to check on a banner as well .

Finney said:
Top of the sheet says grand prize $5k
Bottom says $3k :?

$500 is a lot of money to enter.

I wonder how you get to declare that your contest is "THE" Official BBQ Championship?

Good question I always thought that ws the Q Cup for South Carolina , this could well take its place , if ya ask me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom