SAMS CLUB SCREWS UP! - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > BBQ Competitions, Road Trips and Events
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
SAMS CLUB SCREWS UP!

I should have posted this last week but I was a tad bit busy with work.

So my chicken at Salisbury was a BOMB. Bought the chicken at Sams like I always do. Used the same rub I have been using and the same sauce. Only this time they had Purdue.

Trying to figure out what went wrong, I was standing there over the meat locker at Sams buying for Norfolk when I noticed that the Purdue chicken was enhanced with chicken broth and God only knows what else. Well, that can change the flavors that I introduce to the chicken dramaticly.

I ask the guy were the Members Mark chicken was and they say they arnt carring it any more just the Purdue. Thats just the tip of this iceburg. When I ask if they had any whole packer briskets they said that they dont carry whole packers any more . The meat manager said that the purchasing department just changed suppliers and they wont be getting any more.

Now I dont know about the rest of you but I buy a lot of meat from Sams Club for catering and competiton. I haven't been so upset about something in a while.

Any one else having this problem?
__________________

__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

https://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Damn Bill, I almost renewed my membership at Sams because they carried packers. Glad I didn't now! That does suck, why on earth would they do something so stupid?? Because the "General Public" wants it. They don't cook full packers and they want overcooked juicy chiicken and you get that with enhanced chicken.
__________________

__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
Tell me it ain't so.

the more the big chains generalize the more the smaller stores can specialize.
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Damn Bill, I almost renewed my membership at Sams because they carried packers. Glad I didn't now! That does suck, why on earth would they do something so stupid?? Because the "General Public" wants it. They don't cook full packers and they want overcooked juicy chiicken and you get that with enhanced chicken.
The damnest thing is that they are carring all this ORGANIC stuff. If people only took the time to read the labels.
__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

https://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Not sure they are available in your area but we get a good unpumped chicken down here called Sanderson Farms brand. Think they come from Ole Miss. Albertsons and Tom Thumb carry em in this area. Near all the comp cooks I know use em.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Not sure they are available in your area but we get a good unpumped chicken down here called Sanderson Farms brand. Think they come from Ole Miss. Albertsons and Tom Thumb carry em in this area. Near all the comp cooks I know use em.

bigwheel
Thanks for the info BW. I'll see if I can find that.
__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

https://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Baby Back


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 52
Went to the SAMS in Jax, FL last evening. They had 1 packer and a bunch of flats. The butcher said they're carrying both now not just as many packers as the flats are selling better.
__________________
Todd
Rub the Butt BBQ

Stumps GF 223
Custom Offset Stick Burner
Rub the Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub the Butt
Went to the SAMS in Jax, FL last evening. They had 1 packer and a bunch of flats. The butcher said they're carrying both now not just as many packers as the flats are selling better.
I'm moving to GA.
__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

https://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Smoker
 
Rockin Rooster's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 363
I've gone to using a local grocery store's butcher. I introduced my self and explained that I would be buying meats for competitions and some small catering jobs and they have been real eager to accommodate our needs. I don't even know what SAM's has anymore.
__________________
Rooster

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
https://home.comcast.net/~volstew
(3)WSMs, 22.5" CharBroil kettle,
4'offset (gave away after 1st WSM cook)
Rockin Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
The Sams here is still using Tyson non-enhanced chicken.
Now I am moving to Ohio. Virginia SAMS suck.
__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

https://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #11
Pope O'Que
 
SteerCrazy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,089
Re: SAMS CLUB SCREWS UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill The Grill Guy
I should have posted this last week but I was a tad bit busy with work.

So my chicken at Salisbury was a BOMB. Bought the chicken at Sams like I always do. Used the same rub I have been using and the same sauce. Only this time they had Purdue.

Trying to figure out what went wrong, I was standing there over the meat locker at Sams buying for Norfolk when I noticed that the Purdue chicken was enhanced with chicken broth and God only knows what else. Well, that can change the flavors that I introduce to the chicken dramaticly.

I ask the guy were the Members Mark chicken was and they say they arnt carring it any more just the Purdue. Thats just the tip of this iceburg. When I ask if they had any whole packer briskets they said that they dont carry whole packers any more . The meat manager said that the purchasing department just changed suppliers and they wont be getting any more.

Now I dont know about the rest of you but I buy a lot of meat from Sams Club for catering and competiton. I haven't been so upset about something in a while.

Any one else having this problem?
If I'm not mistakin, Members Mark is a Costco brand
__________________

SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×