Pork Turn in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
IMO, I don't think you would score well doing that. Judges want what you perceive as "your" best BBQ. If you sauce differently, you are telling them you don't know what your best is.

It's the same reason that they won't let you put unsauced meat and a container of sauce in the box.

If you want to put pulled and sliced in the box, do so. They will see that you can cook to get a good product in both forms. Just sauce them with the same sauce.

brian j said:
Finney said:
IMO, I don't think you would score well doing that. Judges want what you perceive as "your" best BBQ. If you sauce differently, you are telling them you don't know what your best is.

It's the same reason that they won't let you put unsauced meat and a container of sauce in the box.

If you want to put pulled and sliced in the box, do so. They will see that you can cook to get a good product in both forms. Just sauce them with the same sauce.
i agree. pulled and sliced are fine in the same box but i won't mix the flavors.

Speaking as a Senior Judge with the SCBA , turning in both pulled and sliced pork shows skill and some imagination to me. but do use the same sauce in your turn in plate on both. But thats just my opinion as a judge.

Roo said:
Thanks - makes perfect sense.

Hmmm, now do I go with Carolina Mustard or Red????

Thanks guys

Phil

On that one I am in the same shape you are in May 4th-5th , I have the same decision to make for my Boston Butt pulled pork , most everyone does a red sauce , might do something different with the mustard??

Roo said:
Thanks - makes perfect sense.

Hmmm, now do I go with Carolina Mustard or Red????

Thanks guys

Phil

Which one do you like best?
Which one does people that you have let sample both like best?
Which one presents it's self best with both the pulled and sliced pork?
Which one goes best with the rub you plan to use?

Sliced meat can tend to dry out, which on to you feel will hide/mask that or add moisture to your meat?

Answer those questions and you will have your answer.

Finney said:
Phil,
Don't know how you feel about using a bottled sauce for a comp, but you should try Reverend Marvin's BBQ sauce. It's a mustard base but also has vinegar and catsup in it also... Good on pork and beef.

Wont be the first time somebody did that will it, at least if I do it might add something extra like honey just to feel batter bout it though!! LOL
I would have to use Cattlemans new yellow mustard or the tomato based one I like thet taste of them both.

Willy T. said:
I wouldn't use mustard base on turn-ins.Speakin' from experience :oops:. Its not very well received in the KCBS comps..To me its red sauce first.Then vinegar based second. Just my 2 cents :)

Willy T.

Hey thanks Willy T I will take allthe advice I can get. Nice web site by the way , hope I get to meet ya down the road!!!

Roo said:
Thanks for the help and input.

I went red. sliced and pulled. I did bad but, it was me and not the sauce I guess.

Next time I am really going to have to to like the slices if I am going to add them in the box. I was not super happy but, did it anyway - my mistake. Pork overall was not too bad.

This was in LA and there is a lot of talk going on. I turned in some of my best stuff and was surprised. I have placed with a lesser product.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Let me get my stick out so I can stir the water........ start 5 comments down.

http://www.cbbqa.com/BBQForums/tabid/57 ... fault.aspx

Do you take pictures of your turn in boxes? Would love to see some.

Back
Top Bottom