Oinktoberfest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frypan, this is our first year cooking in competitons. Oinktoberfest was only our second competition. Our first competition (Grand Rapids) we had three cooks cooking on a Klose mobile. At Oinktoberfest we had two cooks cooking on 2 WSM's. At Nelsonville we'll have three cooks again and will be using both WSM's, a weber kettle, and the Klose mobile.

I have never accused anyone of cheating at Oinktoberfest although there were several cooks there that did. We tasted his BBQ at the judges class and as I stated before it was absolutely horrid. One piece I almost had to spit out it was so bad. My guess is that Donny was not showing his competition stuff at the Judges class at least I hope not because it was swill unless you like dry BBQ with some very strange tastes to it. The comments I heard regarding Donny and they may very well be sour grapes is that he cooks with gas (always a good way to start a flame throwing debate) and that he had won the last three contests cooking with gas). I don't have any problem with that since the last three contests were not KCBS sanctioned events. I have no knowledge either whether he broke the rules at this competition. We were too busy getting out our own products to even know or care. But we definitely heard the accusations from many team members who had cooked there every year. I am also assuming that many team members lodged complaints after the fact. I am basing this on the followup letter from George Boothe, the contest organizer in which he stated "In future years, if any team is suspected of not following KCBS rules it must be brought to the attention of one of the onsite KCBS reps before the judging begins so they can determine the legitimacy of the allegations".

Now I don't know whether the allegations that were lodged were aimed at Donny but he was the only one that I heard mentioned and the allegations were that he was cooking with gas.

Overall, I thought it was a great contest and look forward to competing next year and I congratulate Donny on his win. Like I said earlier, I'd love to be the one to knock Donny off his throne as I'm sure everyone in the competion would also. As they say in sports, especially here in Cleveland,
"Just wait until next year!". :grin:

All I can say is, If your vending and competing in a contest and have a stick burner and a Southern Pride running on gas and wood all night, How do you know where the meat for turn in came from? :) Hummm :^o Who knows.

We thought that would happen way before it did...And thought it would be by someone else... :eek: :eek:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I thought about it, as did probably everyone else, but thought I'd be nice. It does look like a big 'ol doodie. IF you slice it will you see corn???? lmao

The Joker said:
We thought that would happen way before it did...And thought it would be by someone else... :eek: :eek:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm assuming you guys were expecting me to make a comment about the sausage?? I did one time before about Pig's sausage and it got deleted, so I passed on this opportunity! I was definitely thinking about it! 8-[

Ya know Larry. Just before Joker snapped the pic we both chuckled and Joker said " You know what some one is going to say " I said yea, Probably Larry. Great tasting turd though. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom