New Holland Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich Decker

Senior Cook
I got home late last night after a fun weekend. New Holland is my favorite contest and one I seem to score well in.

I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes after the contest and congratulate Chris for getting his boxes in on time. Next contest you cook you should go out and visit the other teams, they are a wealth of information on how to cook comps. Competition cooking is different then back yard cooking, you have to be organized, efficient and disciplined. It's not that hard , experience helps.

Brian, it was fun to spend a little time with you, the late night walk with the Clonesickle was what cooking is all about for me. Congratulations on a big finish in a big contest. I've never cooked a comp by myself and have nothing buy the up most respect for those who do and to get two calls and a top ten finish is something to be very proud of. I hope we can cook the same comp's in the future. It was the highlight of my weekend when you and the pigs came over to my site and we could tip the bottle one more time, those moments mean the most to me and my team.

Here are the pictures I m emailing to my niece to put on the site. There are a few of Stella and my new cherry pile but you get the drift.

I have three big catering jobs before Oinktoberfest but it's a contest I'm looking forward to. I'm looking forward to meeting more folks from this board.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... share&Ux=0

Rich as usual your turn in's look first class!! Great job!

BTW, was that smoked Spam in pic #21??

Rich Decker said:
I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes after the contest and congratulate Chris for getting his boxes in on time. Next contest you cook you should go out and visit the other teams, they are a wealth of information on how to cook comps. Competition cooking is different then back yard cooking, you have to be organized, efficient and disciplined. It's not that hard , experience helps.

Thanks and Ill try to do that more next time. I talk to a few on friday after set up. Next time Ill try and do a more next time. Next time I would also like to find somebody who has some expearence around the pit. Dont get me wrong my team is great but I would like to find someone who can watch the pit while I get an hour or two of sleep.

Chris

Larry Wolfe said:
Rich as usual your turn in's look first class!! Great job!

That was a maple sage sausage. I ground it too fine and it was still to moist so it seeped through the cooker grates. I thought the marks looked cool so we used it. The sausage is pretty good and we've walked with it at every contest that had sausage this year. I usually make sausage in the winter but ran out so last week I was scrambling to get some made for NH.

chris1237 said:
Next time I would also like to find somebody who has some expearence around the pit. Dont get me wrong my team is great but I would like to find someone who can watch the pit while I get an hour or two of sleep.

Chris

Jeff and I both got around 4 hours of sleep. We use a basket and have the fire control down pretty good so it's easy. When we got up the pit dropped from *250 down to *235. It was a easy night to cook with no wind blowing in through dampers and warm temperatures, that new cherry also wasn't as dry as some of my other wood.

Rich Decker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3qkqc892]Rich as usual your turn in's look first class!! Great job!

That was a maple sage sausage. I ground it too fine and it was still to moist so it seeped through the cooker grates. I thought the marks looked cool so we used it. The sausage is pretty good and we've walked with it at every contest that had sausage this year. I usually make sausage in the winter but ran out so last week I was scrambling to get some made for NH.[/quote:3qkqc892]

They did look cool!! Pretty neat!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom