I am going to Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Well I got a big surprise this morning.

My husband surprised me with a booked trip to Shannon, Illinois in April. Now that in itself would be enough. There are enough BBQ joints for me to try out to last a lifetime. However knowing that I am trying to learn as much as I can about BBQ he also booked us into a BBQ class one I am really looking forward to.

The class is called Old School Vs. High Tech cooking. Rod Gray from Pellet Envy and Johnny Trigg of Smokin' Triggers are the instructors.

I am looking forward to it. Hoping to learn some stuff. I would like my meat scores to be as high as my dessert scores :)

Now for all you who have been to Illinois. Where should we eat>???

Uncle Bubba and I will be there also Danielle. We're even bringing the wives to the class. Maybe we can get together for dinner there and figure something out.

I'm also doing the Boys from Tornado Alley class in Sperry, OK next month.

My guess is we'll have to travel outside Shannon to find someplace to eat.
Shannon appears to be a small town.

Dallas

Sounds good, maybe we can convert Bubba over to being a pellethead. Afer all there just microstick burners!

Probably take a lot of pellets to get his Klose up to temp though!

Kloset BBQR said:
Uncle Bubba and I will be there also Danielle. We're even bringing the wives to the class. Maybe we can get together for dinner there and figure something out.

I'm also doing the Boys from Tornado Alley class in Sperry, OK next month.

My guess is we'll have to travel outside Shannon to find someplace to eat.
Shannon appears to be a small town.

Dallas

Are you planning on getting there for Friday afternoon or Thursday night?

Looking at the application form, they are providing dinner on Friday night at the class, so we could get together for dinner Saturday night.

We will most likely be leaving from here Thursday early AM with a pit stop at Birch Run Prime Outlets outside Flint, MI, and we were planning on spending Thursday night and Friday morning in Chicago, before making it to Shannon for 6pm Friday afternoon.

Danielle,

We will most likely be coming in Friday afternoon. We are staying over Friday and Saturday nights and returning home on Sunday morning.

Saturday night sounds like a plan.

Somebody needs to bring the BBQ Central Banner for photo ops! :LOL:

Impailer17 said:
wittdog said:
Sounds like fun....but when are you getting Vlad the RK?

Maybe it will be my retirement present... too bad I am not eligible to retire for another 18 years :(

Keep dreaming you can have an RK when I get an X5 :) And if I am getting an X5 you may want to push that retirement back afew more years.

We will most likely be coming in Friday afternoon. We are staying over Friday and Saturday nights and returning home on Sunday morning.

Somebody needs to bring the BBQ Central Banner for photo ops!

I have the banner to bring and Saturday sounds like a great plan.

Um I ll leave you to convert Bubba.LOL

Diva Q said:
Impailer17 said:
wittdog said:
Sounds like fun....but when are you getting Vlad the RK?

Maybe it will be my retirement present... too bad I am not eligible to retire for another 18 years :(

Keep dreaming you can have an RK when I get an X5 :) And if I am getting an X5 you may want to push that retirement back afew more years.

Somebody needs to bring the BBQ Central Banner for photo ops!

I have the banner to bring and Saturday sounds like a great plan.

Um I ll leave you to convert Bubba.LOL

Maybe someday after I pay off my credit cards and house. For now, I gots what I gots and I like what I gots. Should be a good class. I look forward to seeing you guys again...one thing though...no screaming please!! ;)

Chuck_050382 said:
That is to far north in IL for my blood. If you all were coming down farther south we could get together.

The class sounds neat though.

LOL...Diva's coming from Ontario and you refuse to slide
up the state a bit!!!! OMG!

just kidding....

congrats Diva!!! Sounds like it's gonna be a great class.

Diva, If you will be in Chicago, you MUST eat at Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill on N. Clark. Hands down, the best Mexican Food I have eaten! For Pizza, I recommend Gino's East, and try Heaven On Seven for the best Louisiana Cuisine. Also, look up Emilio's Tapas Restaraunt for great Spanish!

Ron_L said:
Woodman said:
Diva, If you will be in Chicago, you MUST eat at Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill on N. Clark. Hands down, the best Mexican Food I have eaten! For Pizza, I recommend Gino's East, and try Heaven On Seven for the best Louisiana Cuisine. Also, look up Emilio's Tapas Restaraunt for great Spanish!

Hi guys... New member here. My wife and I will also be attending the class in Shannon in April. It's only a couple of hours for us so we'll be driving over on Friday afternoon.

Great recommendations, Woodman. Frontera is one of my all time favorite restaurants. If you want something more upscale Topolobampo next door is also very good, but pricey! Heaven on Seven is also wonderful. The Banos brothers do a great job. When it comes to pizza you can't go wrong with Gino's East, but you may also want to check out Pizzeria Uno. For steaks it's hard to beat Gene and Georgetti, but you better plan on spending $50-$60 per person.

Hope to see some of you in Shannon!

Ron, if you like Bayless' restaraunts, you need to try Salpicon (if you haven't already) on N Wells . I think it is in Olde Towne. The woman who owns it is one of Bayless' former cooks. Her husband is a somalier' who handles the wine list. It is closer to Topolobompo than Frontera . I love Chicago! GREAT RESTARAUNT TOWN!!!!!!

well we are leving tomorow for Mississauga (close to Toronto) then off to michigan on Thursday AM really early and then off to Chicago (meeting up with some fellow BBQcentral members for lunch) then to the class on Friday evening. We are looking forwrd to this mini vacation!

Quality time with Bubba...I wonder if he will be in "comp mode"...... :P :LOL:
Have fun Diva...I'm sure Vlad will be taking good notes....

Back
Top Bottom