How Much Is Not Enough - Is This A Trend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Is The Minimum Amount Of Overall Prize Money You Would Need To Consider Cooking At A Contest?

• $10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $7,500

• $5,000

• $4,000

• $3,000

• $2,000

• Money Is Not Important - I'm just there to compete and have a good time

• Total voters
GoodSmokeBBQ said:
The Giggler said:
I started with the goal of bringing another KCBS Comp to the area so I didn't have to drive as far.... I didn't realize that I wouldn't be cooking it!

That is why we have each other... :P

That's true and hilarious! Thank goodness too!

Add Honcho's Event and Oink, and WNY is becoming a real Kansas City! LOL!

Kloset BBQR said:
Woodman said:
[quote="Uncle Bubba":uprd1rk9]I can see the points about the money. However, if you are in this for the money...go cater. There's a hell of a lot of money that can be made catering and it involves just as much time, some forethought, and a pretty good amount of work. You get just as much, if not more, adulation from the people eating. Contests are fun and it's great to hang and BS with everyone but as far as money goes...private gigs are where it's at.

That being said:
1. 20x30 space
2. Free electric and water close by
3. local source of properly seasoned firewood available
4. early inspections
5. showers
6. dancing girls...Witt just doesn't cut it any more
7. beer for my horses
8. Post -comp pizza delivered
9. staff to clean and put my stuff away
10. Ruby slippers so I can click my heels and be home

I'm with him!!! You will get far MORE adulation from catering. It is WAY more work than competition BBQ though. Prize money is a nice "bonus" , but let's face it. Most times you don't get any!!!! There are a few folks out there who win consistently, but let's face it. They don't have real jobs!!! If you are not in competition BBQ for simply the fun and comraderie, you are NUTS!!!! If you are looking for validation, or a sense of self worth........buy a dog!!!

I guess I'm nuts then. If the numbers don't add up and their is no chance to come remotely close to making a portion of your money back even if you should win the GC, than there are other contests more worthy of my limited funds. Look at it this way if your just in it for the comradarie and fun then lets all chip in 800-1000 per team and skip Oinktoberfest. I'm sure with that kind of budget we could have one hell of a party buy some real nice trophies and some companionship to boot (I didn't say that). So I know its more than friendship and comradarie as most of us are competitive by nature. In the end all of us have different reasons for entering contests and the prize money becomes less important if you do a small number of contests and/or have sponsors or a lottery recipient. For the rest of us that do more than five contests a year and have no sponsors the money is important as is sanctioning and having the contest desginated a state championship. Certainly its not the only factor but it is a large one for us. Your mileage may vary. Good luck with the catering, you'll get no competiton from us. Like you said much harder work.[/quote:uprd1rk9]

Good points made in this post.

Competition is good for the human spirit. Winning back some of what was invested, is also good. Getting sponsors on one's team is a lot of work, but super good once obtained. I guess I'll have to buy lottery tickets and win to see if that's any good . . . Event sanctioning is a concern - in order to provide a known set of parameters for the competition - however, not a priority.

Hopefully everyone can find competitions with what they need/want.

Catering is a blast, and a lot of work. Totally different atmosphere, as well - generally full of kudos for the cook!

To me BBQ it's not about money or sponsors it's about having fun. Hell, I drove to Columbus Indiana from Toronto to pick up a cooker pretty much sight unseen. It was about the adventure and the stories I could tell whenever I use it.

Due to family obligations, finances and lack of appropriate transportation for my team, I can only participate in one competition per year, even that's stretching it. I go out to have some fun, placate my competitive spirit and have some pops with new and old friends. I'd still go if prizes were ribbons and bragging rights.

Fellow BBQ-ers
My job as a event chairman is to listen to all comments from all sides .
We ( I'm sure Brian, Mike, And George are with me one this one ) will do what ever we can to make your time at our event as enjoyable as we can
One thing I'm working on is wood, as you already heard one of our fellow Q-ers stated. You can not transport wood more than 50 miles.
If your coming to our event you can order wood from us at cost. It will be here when you get here, Please let me know what you need. We have
OAK, CHERRY, n MAPLE. I'm working on Hickory. Any other wood Available with in 50 miles, you need ask I'll do me best. This wood is first class, seasoned or not, no punky wood. Our Town Supervisor has said we will have showers also,

honcho said:
Fellow BBQ-ers
We ( I'm sure Brian, Mike, And George are with me one this one ) will do what ever we can to make your time at our event as enjoyable as we can
One thing I'm working on is wood, as you already heard one of our fellow Q-ers stated. You can not transport wood more than 50 miles.
If your coming to our event you can order wood from us at cost. It will be here when you get here, Please let me know what you need. We have
OAK, CHERRY, n MAPLE. I'm working on Hickory. Any other wood Available with in 50 miles, you need ask I'll do me best. This wood is first class, seasoned or not, no punky wood. Our Town Supervisor has said we will have showers also,

Thanks so much for all of your hard work on the event.
It's good karma all around! ;)
We'll pack our Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Product into our travelling igloo for the event - as it can be transported where ever we go, without issue. That, and it's a fine product too!

Adrienne said:
honcho said:
Fellow BBQ-ers

Thanks so much for all of your hard work on the event.
It's good karma all around! ;)
We'll pack our Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Product into our travelling igloo for the event - as it can be transported where ever we go, without issue. That, and it's a fine product too!

I think I speak for Brian, Honcho, George, and myself when I say: ROLL OUT THAT RED CARPET INVITE TO YOUR COOL TRAVELING IGLOO WHEN THE HOT TEMPS DESCEND UPON US! (The organizers need some reprieve!) :D

All I want from competition BBQ is a chance to break even. If I dont have a chance to do that, I will stay home. I know that this game we play is expensive but to the winners breaking even makes the whole thing worth while. & the bling, got to bring home the hardware.
So I agree with Dallas.

Back
Top Bottom