Canadian Open Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
Not sure who won but I spoke with Danielle and they finished 5th overall. She was disappointed with it as any competitor would be but she really did well with a 1st in ribs and brisket and 5th in chicken...noce job. ;) Don't quote me on these results as my connection with Vlad was not very good.

When I spoke to Danielle she said they finished 24th out of 26th in pork and that cost her dearly. She thought it was her best pork ever which is usually the kiss of death. I will not mention what she did exactly but I couldn't believe what she did for turn in. Her finish was certainly not for a lack of effort.

She wanted me to mention thanks to everyone that sent her emails wishing her well.

Christ, I feel like her publicist. :roll: :LOL:

Nice job Danielle. 8)

Wow, 1st in ribs and brisket! That's fabulous. And 5th in chicken, you least favorite. Sorry about the pork; the judges must be out of their minds.

--John

I've never talked to a comper on the day of the event who
was happy with everything.

That's what makes us get better.

Most important is the FACT....you can't win em all.

Captain Morgan said:
I've never talked to a comper on the day of the event who
was happy with everything.

That's what makes us get better.

Most important is the FACT....you can't win em all.

Yeah, that's for sure. Last year at Franklin I chucked a piece of my chicken into the woods because i was so pissed with the way it turned out. It was 1st place chicken. You just never know. I try to compete against my abilities and do the best i can and let the chips fall where they may. Hard to do but you'll drive yourself crazy with this stuff that you really have no control over.

Thank you for the posting Uncle Bubba. Let me know what I owe you for publicist fees LOL.

We have asked to see the individual pork judges scoring - we have not seen them yet. While I did not expect to win pork I am really concerned about the scoring. Very much so. We had two onsite judges who scored us extremely high. One was a Master KCBS judge who has judged over 140 times. They don't bs either . I had them last year and their comments really helped me improve for this year. So I have a hard time swallowing the 24th place out of 26. That would mean that three other judges would have scored us in the low 60's high 50's. (We score out of 100 here out of the 6 judges scores they drop the lowest one)

There has already been one correction to the scoring that has changed the standings in dessert categories. (We got a 4th)

Our sauce came in 8th and our anything butt came in 5th.

I was thrilled to hear from uncle bubba !! That was great. The connection was awful as we were standing on the waterfront.

I have to go and unload the trailer now and pack from Franklin.

Thank you to everyone who sent such nice emails.

Great scores except for the pork ERROR. Congrads.

Hey Kevin. show me exactly where to throw a hunk of chicken into the woods at Franklin on Friday. The rest of what you do to become GC (say everything sucks and walk around grumpy) I have mastered. :LOL: :LOL:

We received an email from the head judge and he states he checked the scres threee times so we will leave it at that and move on I guess.

scoring

Danielle

Last year we received the breakdown of the scoring. It showed onsite judges scores and the four blind judge scores? Any idea if we will be getting them or not?

Tim

Well he emailed me this morning and said he was sending them out to Natalie. Waiting to see them posted.

I really am interested to see them.

And a HUGE HUGE HUGE Congratulations to your team (can't stop Grilling and) for the reserve GC and for raising the money for Breast Cancer I was sooo proud to see you take those walks that was worth the whole weekend.

WOOHHOOO

Heres the scores that we know :

Brisket:
6th: BBQ Effect
5th: Hogtown BBQ
4th: Can't Stop Grillin'
3rd: Wilbur's Smokin' Again
2nd: Team Cedar Grilling
1st: Diva Q

Pork:
6th: No Leftovers
5th: 2 Men & A Hog
4th: BBQ Effect
3rd: Can't Stop Grillin'
2nd: Black Pig BBQ.com
1st: Pork of the North

Chicken:
6th: Wilbur's Smokin' Again
5th: Diva Q
4th: Pork of the North
3rd: Team Cedar Grilling
2nd: Swamp Daddy BBQ
1st: Hogtown BBQ

Ribs:
6th: Can't Stop Grillin'
5th: BBQ Effect
4th: Smoked Meets
3rd: Blowin' Smoke
1st: Diva Q

Extra Categories (not counting towards Grand Champion)

Best Booth:
2nd: Simcoe County Smokers
1st: 2 Men and a Hog

Sauce:
4th: Bustin' Loose
3rd: Smokin' in the Igloo
2nd: Swine Fellows
1st: Black Pig BBQ.com

Dessert:
4th: Swamp Daddy BBQ
3rd: Smokin' in the Igloo
1st: Hogtown BBQ

Anything But:
4th: Bustin' Loose
3rd: Swamp Daddy's BBQ
2nd: Big Sid's BBQ
1st: Black Pig BBQ.com

Homegrown Award (Top Canadian Team):
Team Cedar Grilling

Overall:
5th: Diva Q
4th: Happy Grillmore
3rd: BBQ Effect
Reserve Grand Champion: Can't Stop Grillin'
GRAND CHAMPION: TEAM CEDAR GRILLING

Think of the people who were pleased and surprised with the outcome: Happy Grillmore, BBQ Effect, Can't Stop Grillin', and Team Cedar Grilling. ;)

--John

Great job Diva. 5th overall with two firsts in a National Championship is nothing to sneeze at. I'll bet they are all worried about next year already.

Congratulations, Diva! You did great! Must have got some rookie judges on that pork score!

See you in Franklin!

Diva Q said:
We received an email from the head judge and he states he checked the scres threee times so we will leave it at that and move on I guess.

Don't make any enemies...not worth it. They get the last laugh in a fight like this.

Diva, just relax...The Karma will come back to get those stoopid judges in the end...and as we all know, the Karma NEVER doesn't work! ;)

Diva Q said:

Danielle;

One of our two onsite judges for Anything Butt gave us an extremely high score, and the other said his score was only a few points behind. So, if that is the case, then the blind judges must have scored in the low to mid fifties, for my overall score in that category to be as low as it is - even if it was one of the best dishes to ever leave my hands!!

I believe that one of the hardest parts of this 'hobby' is to remain humble, and believe that it doesn't always turn out the way it should, or how we think it will, going in.

I am going to email you today, sometime, but have to get my thoughts together before I compose it. Keep smiling! ;)

Back
Top Bottom