Cabelas Results...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm slowly recovering the last two days. My bones are aching and I got a good case of sunburn but other than that I'm feeling pretty good now.

Congrats to Woodman, Bubba, and Bruce on their most impressive finish at Cabela's. Way to go guys! I like to think that we struck a blow for Buckeye BBQ in Michigan! Cabelas' put on a great contest and gave all entrants the Cabelas's employee discount at their gigantic store.

This was my first competition with my new team, Double D's BBQ (Dallas and Danny). I'm trying to teach my son the art of Q'ing. So far he is catching on real well especially the part where you get to take long naps in the sun and tell tall tales. My other teammate was my old army buddy Mike. Mike and I served in the Army together back in the late 70's. We served together in the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment in Germany and patrolled a large sector of the for Czechoslovakian border. Mike's son is my Godson. Although Mike is new to BBQ, he contributed greatly in fixing some mechanical and electrical problems we encountered during the cookoff. We would have been doomed without him.

We have a long way to go yet but we did take 6th in Chicken, which we thought was our weakest category and 12th in Brisket (which we thought was one of our strongest). We were extremely puzzled by the poor showing in pork which we thought was our strongest category where we finished 23rd. Overall we came in 14th which placed us in the upper 50th percentile and gives us plenty of opportunity for improvement. Our next door neighbors during the comp was the Northcoast guys so it was great to
see them all again and catch up.

We look forward to our next competition at Oinktoberfest in September.

I don't get what they are looking for in pork! It could be, that so many folks concentrate on it, that we are just not focused enough on it! I really just don'yt like it all that much! Maybe we are taking it for granted?

hard for me to say since I don't know what the judges in your area
are looking for, but I've seen a lot of turn in boxes lately (pics) that
have large hunks of pork. IMHO, it's more appealing to have more
slender pulled pieces that still show bark and ring.

Woodman said:
I don't get what they are looking for in pork! It could be, that so many folks concentrate on it, that we are just not focused enough on it! I really just don'yt like it all that much! Maybe we are taking it for granted?
I just finished 2 pork sammie's from the leftovers you gave me, that is some good stuff real sweet =P~

Jeff E said:
Good job guys! I would have judged that turn in box for pork high for appearance. It looks really good to me.

You tell me. I can't figure it out. I got all 6's and 7s on appearance on that box.

After checking my sheet again i made a mistake in my numbers. We would have needed 24 points, and not 14, on top our butt score to take GC. That would have required a top 5 finish in pork and we're just not there yet. So I feel a little better now even though Woodman will say I suck anyways. Not bad for our 4th comp...with no sleep either. I'm sure a thread is going to ensue in the near future concerning that whole thing but I'll let Woody open that can of worms.

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":37egfi6x]
Chuckwagoncook said:
Where's the blue room?
You need the secret pass word to get in ! 8-[

What's the secret password? [-o<[/quote:37egfi6x]
Please contact your local Administrator via board email...

Congrats everyone! Thanks for sharing the pics. I really wish we could have made it up to meet everyone but the cards just didn't play out that way. Maybe another time, another place.

Awesome job guys. Looks like you had too much fun. Great pics.

As for pork butt, I feel the same way as Woody does about it. The last few that I have purchased from Sams didnt have any white meat in it and the flavor just doesnt appeal to me. We concentrated on brisket so much never giving ribs and pork their fair attention. Im going shoulder instead next time just for a change. I know for a fact that the team we were next to a couple weeks ago served the judges mostly white meat with a thin vinegar sauce. They took 1st in PP. Theirs had a much better taste I thought, but thats my opinion. My brother disagreed.

I hope to meet you guys one day at a comp.

Back
Top Bottom