BBQ Central Get together LIST

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got home, butt tired. Had a great time, ate some great bbq and other food and we drank ALOT of beer! Thanks to Bill the Grill Guy and his parents for having us and putting together such a great event!!! If anyone is ever in the area and needs a top notch camping facility, visit the Small Country Campgrouns, you won't be disappointed! Great fishing lake too!!!

Just a quick post to say hey guys. I am still at the campground and this is dial up puter so I will put up some pics when I get back to my DSL. We had ball (and I am paying for it now). It was a great time and everyone ate well.

Mom says that the campers realy enjoyed the Q and Ribs. Congrats to Bruce and Gary B for the win with :shock: STORE BOUGHT STUFFED PORK LOIN :roll: but it was good.
The rack of Lamb that Gary C did was out of this world and the Brunswick stew that Chiles made was to die for. Now I know why he is Big C's Stew and Q.

We did have a few newbies that learned a bunch and will be competing again. Welcome to the crazy world Eric and Amy of Wild Fire and Matt B from Extreme Team BBQ.

It would be a dream come true to see 50 KCBS teams in a full blown contest here. It is a great place to hold a contest.

I will post my pics when I get home.

Great time at the meet and drink

Bill,
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me win 4 whole votes that my ribs and butt were better than any of y'alls (pork that is, not me personally) because the previous week was the first time I ever cooked ribs and butt on a WSM and Amy compared it to Firestone or GoodYear more than anything edible. My advice if you are too new or drunk to smoke something...Don't eat it. Just toss it away because it took me a whole day to get them burnt ribs taste out of my mouth. That aweful. Now that you have a visual on how inept I was, let me tell you the hospitality that Bill the Grill Guy, Mr. Bill, Gary and Larry showed me (others helped but with my memory and beer, I can't name them all unless in a police profile).

Amy and I had the misfortune to trust my navigation (and lack of following directions to the campground) and a late night departure. Add to it that I started my grill late AND needed my (still sleeping) wife to make me the rub and I didn't have much of a clue as to the proper way to toss the butts in the grill (trim the fat or just cut score marks into it). Well, Bill helped me on tossing that piggie in to the WSM and Bruce helped me figure my temps were 25 degrees off and loaned me a Taylor temp remote until I could dig mine out of my gear. Once Amy arrived on scene, we were ready to cut up some ribs only to have yet to put my second WSM together. Yes, the guys made fun that it was still in the box, but Bill had no problems disregarding the directions and setting it up while I was still trying to figure out if my ribs had a membrane or not. I'd rather give him the ribs and let me assemble it, but I'll take free help any day :)

That said, based on advice of the above and Mr. Bill for showing me how to cut up the pork and Larry for providing the rub and Gary for loaning me space in his (what's it called that keeps your butt warm when your waiting to feed it to someone?) well, it was like a fireproof safe or something, but I stashed one in there but it wasn't needed. As soon as Amy served up one butt, there was demand for the second one. Apparently our water/cider mixture in the water pan plus all the fat in them butts (plus the apple juice in the foiled ribs) helped keep everything moist. I haven't seen so many people eat our grub since our May adventure at the VA State Chili Cook-offs (different story for later). Anyways, thanks guys for all your help and thanks to Mr. B. for representing W.VA and not taking all our jokes at the campfire personally.

I think if we can learn how to make some sauce that people actually like (Southerners take their BBQ seriously, at least that's what it seems. Ever see what happened to Bobby Flay's Throwdown at Richmond VA? He lost and for a good reason or two) So, it seems that we'll need to find out what people like. In the meantime, we'll need to practice a lot of things, but at least it was great to meet and greet and grill and drink and learn a thing or 10. See ya next year for sure and maybe even sooner.

BTW, Still waiting on our pics to get posted. By the time you had us pose next to your banner, I think I was averaging two beers per hour which is enough to render my judgement useless and need to warn anyone not to eat my cooking. Me and Amy forgot to take any pictures. Brought a camera, but it was in the cabin the whole time. Not too useful there, no siree. Great breakfast Saturday. Never heard of hard boiled eggs stuffed in sausage.

One last BTW, great website. Lots of useful info. Now I just have to sit down and read it. As for buying 'free Paris from jail' merchandise, I didn't support Martha in Jail, but then, she deserved to be there. I liked the pics of her making license plates. Would love to see Paris making something. That's all.

Bill, you guys rock!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom