Any News Yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I see a couple of you guys poking in here ! How about some results?

30 teams competed.
We took 18th overall
Dave took 27th in ribs
Dallas took 25 in Brisket
I took 9th (ribbon) in Pork Butt and 2nd(Trophy&$100) in Chicken.
The chicken was a comedy of errors to say the least but I am still, nonetheless, very proud of my showing despite what Woodman's dillusional accounts of the events will say over the next few days as the stories come out. He was a huge help in a very critical moment with the tongs as I was frantically stripping off my glove as my hand was being burnt and my chicken on it's way to being lumps of anthrocite. Luckily we got it off in time and saved the category. More to follow.

Well, congrats to you guys! :( :( :( Now, when do we find out how you did your chicken and where are the pics?? :eek:

Seriously, congrats guys!! :(

Listen to the podcast...we did exactly what we said we were going to...wsm...almost disasterous though. Too hot and it started burning the chicken skin and my hand.

The Joker said:
Well, congrats to you guys! :( :( :( Now, when do we find out how you did your chicken and where are the pics?? :eek:

Seriously, congrats guys!! :(

Bet ya they used Klose' poultry rub with a brine,any takers? =D>
Congratulations North coast BBQ,,,, ahhh i forget the rest,
well you know who you are :grin:

It was truly a team effort that resulted in the final outcome. I did all the seasoning, prep, and presentation, Dallas was king of the fire...and Woodman was there with the tongs in a desperate moment of chaos.

When things got dicey, and he needed those tongs to keep his chicken from burning up because he didn't know what he was doing.......I knew right where they were!

We seemed to stumble on a new method of cooking that was very well received by the Judges. Flame broiled BBQ Chicken. I can definitley attest that the skin was crisp! Hey Bubba do you think Rachel Ray might want to duplicate this on her 30 minute meals show! :grin:

Wow! Uncle Bubba almost smiled there at the end. :D

I've only been to 1 competition and just watched while there so I really don't know what the judges are looking for. That said...

The chicken did look chared but not that bad. I'm curious what you guys thought when you turned it in...

Brisket looked too wet to me. Pork and ribs looked great! What was wrong with the ribs??

My 2¢

wow, I'd say the chicken was to charred also, but apparently it was charred just enough for second place!

Can't figure the ribs out, they look great. Brisket also.

That presentation of pork is one I'm not used to down here in
Cackalacky, but it sure looks juicy.

The Joker said:
Wow! Uncle Bubba almost smiled there at the end. :D

I've only been to 1 competition and just watched while there so I really don't know what the judges are looking for. That said...

The chicken did look chared but not that bad. I'm curious what you guys thought when you turned it in...

Brisket looked too wet to me. Pork and ribs looked great! What was wrong with the ribs??

My 2¢

Joker,

I think Bubba was ready to pitch the chicken before turn in but he does a great job of getting our food looking good at turn in. None of us gave it any chance at anything but thought we should turn it in to grab as many posints as possible. This was all an experiment. We cooked the chicken in two batches not knowing how long it would take to cook and figured we could improve on the second batch. The first batch went on at 10 and was done at 10:20. It looked and tasted great so we thought we had hit on something. We put the second batch on at 11:15. The heat of the fire had died down from about 375 to 300 at the top cooking grate. After about 10 minutes of cooking we were starting to get worried that it wasn't going to get done in time so we moved the chicken to the lower racked and cooked with the lid off. After a few minutes the juices started flowing causing the fire to flare up. The chicken skin was all charred and we thought that was it but we moved it back to the top rack and cooked it to 165. Kevin performed his artistry on the presentation, put on a nice finishing glaze and the rest is history. I believe he missed taking first by something like .003 of a point.

20 minutes for chicken thighs at 375°? I cook mine for 45 minutes ~ Guess that's why my chicken sucks! :faint: Thanks for the detailed report. Chicken is what I'm working on the most right now. Did you guys glaze the chicken in the box? Also, is the glaze a secret? The rub? :!:

Thanks again and congrats!!

The chicken thighs were very small. Kevin buys them that way in order to fit six in a box without looking crowded. The rub was Dave Klose's chicken rub and I believe the sauce was the same sauce that Kevin entered in the Oinktoberfest contest. We all know the ingredients but you'll have to ask Kevin since it's his recipe.

The touch up work on the chicken was done in the box.

Also the chicken was brined. Might want to ask BBQMMM for that recipe! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom