Tomato-Chili Cheese Bannock Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave'sWife

Cook
Tomato-Chili Cheese Bannock

Bannock is a hearty Scottish Oatcake often made in a skillet or cast iron pan over a fire. I make many varieties of Bannock both sweet and savory. A hot Bannock fresh out of the oven is an irresistible breakfast when paired with fresh butter or cream cheese. Usually Bannock does not include eggs, but for this recipe, I prefer the addition of at least one egg if not two to bind together the savory ingredients.

Ingredients

2 Cups of Bisquick Baking Mix (it always comes out better with Bisquick as opposed to flour)
2 cups of rolled oats
1 1/2 cups very finely grated Parmesan cheese (the good stuff not the cheap stuff)
2 tablespoons Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
dash of white pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder (not soda)
1 10 ounce can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Chilis
1 to 2 eggs
2/3 cup of heavy cream of whole milk
Vegetable oil - to grease the pan and brush the top of the Bannock.

Mix together your Bisquick, oats, finely grated cheese, dry spices and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add in the can of Tomatoes & Chilis, 1 or 2 eggs and the Cream (or milk). Mix together. If very dry, add more milk. It should not need more than another quarter cup or so. The mixture should be well-wetted but not runny. It should look a bit like biscuit dough.

Turn into a VERY well-greased cast iron skillet or casserole. You can use Anodize Aluminum as well such as Calphalon. Glass is not appropriate. I use liberal amounts of oil to grease my casserole and not butter. Smooth the mixture down with a spatula so it has a flat surface. Brush the top with some more oil. You want it to come out crisp.

Bake in a 350 Degree oven for 40 to 60 minutes until top is firm and brown and you see the sides are done nicely. Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes. Turn out unto a dish and serve warm by cutting into pie-shaped wedges. Serve with butter and/or cream cheese.

Cooks Note - I prefer 2 eggs for this recipe, but if you like your Bannock more traditional, just use one.

This makes a very good breakfast bread served with eggs or.. a fine accompaniment to Chili of any type, stews and BBQ meats.

Back
Top Bottom