New & Improved Succotash (no Lima Beans!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave'sWife

Cook
New & Improved Succotash

Normally, Succotash is made with lima beans, but who likes lima beans? Not me! Here's my reconfigured recipe for a modern palette. I got the idea after seeing a lima bean version in the new issue of Organic Style Magazine.

Succotash was served at the First Thanksgiving, did you know that?

New & Improved Succotash

Ingredients
3 cups of Fresh Edemame beans or 1 15 ounce package of frozen Edemame, thawed
(edemame are green soybeans)
3 tablespoons Butter
1 bunch of green Onions, Chopped
2 cups of Frozen corn kernels thawed or fresh kernels cut from the cob (2 to 3 ears)
1 cup of chopped tomatoes (about half a can if using canned)
2 tablespoons of chopped Flat leaf parsley
Salt & pepper to taste

1. In a saucepan, bring 3/4 cup salted water to boil; add the Edemame. Cook 5 minutes (do not cook until fully tender). Drain under cold running water. (if you prefer steaming them, then steam them as per your usual routine)

2. Heat butter in a skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides; add scallions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add corn and cook 5 minutes. Add the Edemame and cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and parsley; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.

VARIATIONS:

The simplest variation is to spike the dish with some chopped hot peppers when you are cooking all the ingredients together in the skillet! You could also use Rotel Diced tomatoes & chilis in place of the chopped tomatoes.

Other Variations:

Add in 3 cups of chopped Butternut squash - cook the squash with the Edemame before adding to the skillet. Increase the tomatoes to 2 cups. This is a very nice combo.

Instead of Butternut, add 2 to 3 cups of julienned Zucchini strips and cook with the Edemame. Increase the tomatoes as above.

Back
Top Bottom