Lemoncello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Seems like there is some alcoholic Eyetalians who hang out on here. Thought they might like this. Nice fella on another forum provided it. His name is Ratfinger I think. Before piddling with it wash and scrub the lemons real good with hot water Dawn and a bristle brush to get off the wax. Unless you get organic lemons. No need for it them perhaps.

10 Lemons - peel the lemons, peels only no pith

Peel the pith (white stuff) off the lemons
quarter the lemons in a pot of 1 1/2 qt water
cook for 15 - 20 min & add enough sugar or artificial sweetener to make the mix slightly sweet. Use a potato masher, etc to mash the lemons
filter the mix to get only juice
mix with equal parts 40%-50% abv (that be 80-100 proof hooch..vodky or whatever you like)
add the lemon peel & put into the fridge
after a week remove the peel (gives it the oils & some bitterness)
this will slightly thicken in the fridge so let it warm on the counter, mix up & serve

I find this very pleasing

works the same with oranges, grapefruit, etc.

Be sure to source American citrus, who knows what goes on foreign cirtus

Meyers lemons makes an interesting lemoncello

Hmmm vewy intewesting. What is a PGA thanks? Actually lime version is about a hundred times mo betta. The storebought variety is way too sweet for most folks. What is TVWBB? I got to stay more current. Notice floating a whole unpeeled lime in the alchyhol for two days make it taste as citrusy as most folks can stand. Saves a bunch of steps and do not have do worry about the pizzens white sugar cept what it take to make the hooch. Lot of sugar on that deal too. Diabetics should prob stick to loco weed..lol.

Ahh ok gotcha thanks. Will agree the higher the ABV the faster it will strip the goodies out of the fruits. Hundred proof works just fine too as long as you flip it end for end each day. Any parts sticking out of the alcohol for extended periods can set up a ferment in the jug. Capped off Everclear could prevent that maybe. Still think I would want to flip it just to be on the safe side. Now if something sinks like a rock it dont matter.

Back
Top Bottom