Kaiser Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Poppy seeds, onion, and salt encrusted on the top of the Kaiser is traditional. I just used a lil corn meal.

3 1/2 cups bread or unbleached flour, approximately
1 package dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup hot water (120-130 degrees F)
1/2 teaspoons malt extract, if available
1 egg
1 egg white
I tablespoon vegetable shortening
flour, for dusting

One baking sheet, greased or lined with parchment paper. Pan for water. Atomizer to spray oven interior. I just kept misting with a water sprayer.

BY HAND OR MIXER:
Measure 1 cup of flour into a mixing or mixer howl and add the yeast, sugar, and salt. Stir to blend well. Pour in the hot water and malt extract. Mix for 1 minute with wooden spoon or mixer flat beater until a smooth but heavy batter results.

Add the egg, egg white, and shortening. Beat together until the mixture is smooth. If with the electric mixer, remove flat beater and continue with dough hook. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough is a solid but soft mass that can be lifted from the bowl - or left under the dough hook.

Knead the dough with a strong push-turn-fold motion, adding liberal sprinkles of flour if the dough is wet. If in the mixer, the dough will clean the sides of the bowl and form a ball around the dough hook. If, however, it continues to cling to the sides, add sprinkles of flour. The dough should be firm.

BY PROCESSOR:
Measure 2 cups of flour into the work bowl and add the yeast, sugar, and salt. Pulse to blend. With the machine running, pour the hot water and malt extract through the feed tube. The dough will be a thick batter. Drop the egg, egg white, and shortening. Pulse 7 or 8 times to blend completely. Add remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms a ball and rides the blade. If dough is wet and sticks to the sides of the bowl, add flour by the tablespoon with the machine running.

When the dough cleans the sides of the bowl, knead for 60 seconds. Uncover the bowl; pinch the dough to determine if it is soft but firm when kneading is completed.

FIRST RISING:
Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside to double in hulk, about 1 hour.

SECOND RISING:
Uncover the bowl and punch down time dough with the fingers. Re-cover bowl and allow to double in volume again in a warm, moist oven, about 45 minutes.

SHAPING:
Here's the method I used...
http://www.preparedpantry.com/howtomakekaiserrolls.htm

Back
Top Bottom