Ice Cream Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Here's a simple recipe posted by Keri C over on the BBQ Forum. If nothing else it sounds interesting and tasty.

Ice-cream Bread

1 pint (2 cups) ice cream, softened
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Stir together ice cream and flour, stirring just until flour is moistened. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

Note: Batter may also be divided evenly between 2 greased and floured 5- x 3-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.

Yield: Makes 1 (8-inch) loaf

Prep: 5 min., Bake: 45 min. This two-ingredient bread is terrific any time of day. Pop it in the oven while you're preparing supper, or serve it for afternoon tea. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, toast a few slices for breakfast and serve with butter and jam.

wow - gotta try these.

Hey Bruce - My Grandad was from Newton Falls (Mill town on the Oswegatchie River not far from Star lake) and when we were kids, he used to tell us stories about these magical birds called "Chicken-Crows" who came to Newton Falls in the summer and lived in the Lilac Bushes but they spent their winters in Utica. I never quite undertstood why they went to Utica in wintertime cuz it ain't like it's any much warmer there than in newton Falls, but Grandad assumed it was and so the Chicken Crows flew off to Utica every fall and wouldn't come back unless we were good boys and girls.

The next egeneration of cousins born to his younger children were told about "Peanut-Butter Birds" who also seemed to favor Utica as a wintering place. They had different super powers but were Utica loving birds too. Apparently all magical birds live in utica during the winter.

Actually, Grandad wasn't FROM Newtown Falls, it's just where he raised his family. I believe he was born in Canada. His father was a steamboat captain on the St. Lawrence.

Well Mrs. Dave I've been here since 1974 and haven't really noticed any migrating chicken crows or peanut butter birds, but I'll keep my eye out for 'em this coming winter, it'll give me something to do.

Can you smoke them?

You are right though, magical birds do live in Utica. I thank you!! :grin: :grin:

Oh dear. I'd hate to think what curse might befall you if you tried to kill, smoke and eat a Chicken-Crow or a Peanut-Butter Bird. They can be vengeful or so I recall. Since their primary activity is rewarding good boys and girls with wishes in various ways and teaching them moral lessons, I should think you should stick to chicken and less useful poultry.

I'll have to ask my younger cousins if they remember why the Magic birds spent time in Utica. I believe it may have been because back in the 60s and early 70s before the Lkae Placid Olympics road building boom, us kids who lived in NYC had to drive thru Utica to get to Newton Falls and the Grandparents' house. I remember when we made the Trek during winter for Thanksgiving or Christmas, we always wanted to be woken up when we came close to utica to see if any Chicken Crows were there waiting for us. We always seemed to catch a fleeting glimpse of them. Can't say as I ever saw a Peanut-Butter bird cuz they were exclusivelt for the younger cousins born in the late 70s and 1980s. My mom and her siblings had Magic trouts but no magic birds and they always threw back any trout they caught lest they anger the magic ones.

Gotta love the Northcountry and their raconteurs!

Back
Top Bottom