Grilled Asparagus Spears - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Recipes > Appetizers, Sides and Desserts
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Grilled Asparagus Spears

Grilled Asparagus Spears

This easy recipe is actually just a foolproof technique for grilling one of summer's great treasures. Brought to you courtesy of our friend Bob Blumer, a.k.a. The Surreal Gourmet, cookbook author and bon vivant extraordinaire.

1 pound fresh asparagus
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Look for firm asparagus stalks with deep green or purplish tips. Also check the bottom of the spears. If they are dried up, chances are they have been sitting around for too long. Trim off the tough bottom of the spear by grasping each end and bending it gently until it snaps at its natural point of tenderness—usually two thirds of the way down the spear. If the spear is less than 6-inches long, chances are it has already been trimmed for you. Then take a vegetable peeler and peel off the outer skin of the lower half of the remaining stalk.

Place asparagus on a plate. Drizzle oil over top and turn spears until they are coated. Sprinkle with salt (this may seem like a lot—just trust me) and turn again.

Grill asparagus for 5 minutes over Direct Medium heat. Each minute or so, roll each spear 1/4 turn. Asparagus should begin to brown in spots (indicating that its natural sugars are caramelizing) but should not be allowed to char.

Remove from grill and serve immediately (eating spears with your fingers enhances the experience).

Makes 4 servings.

Note: Le secret: Thicker spears fare better on the grill. The adventure club: Wrap grilled spears with slices of prosciutto--a perfect appetizer for your next cocktail party.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #2

I have made then raichlen style. Make a raft using soaked wood kebob spears
Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark

I like Steven's as well. And the rafts sure help to not lose any spears.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #4

Keep 'em comin', Chris!!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #5

Put the spears in a large bowl, add enough oil to coat, sprinkle with Good Seasons Italian spices (it's the packages of dried spices sold to mix with vinegar and oil to make your own Italian salad dressing), and then grill. The spices are just right.

Griff

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote