Diva Q Cabbage Rolls or Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
1 large head cabbage
1/2 lb Beef ground
1/2 lb pork ground
2 cups cooked long grain rice
1 chopped Onion
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic finely minced
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 cup chopped Parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 c Parmesan

Place cabbage head in boiling salted water and boil for 8 minutes. Separate leaves. Trim the back of the cabbage leaves so that the large vein of the cabbage is thinner (makes it much easier to roll I use a filet knife for this)
Cook ground pork and beef together with the olive oil
Sautee onions in a separate pan and add to the meat mixture.

Add salt, pepper, garlic, parsley oregano, meat, onion and rice together in a large bowl.

Take a scoop of meat mixture, place it on a cabbage leaf and roll it up until all the meat is covered. Place it in a lightly oiled deep sauce pan, seam side down Then add the stewed tomatoes shake/ tap the pan a bit to make sure the sauce has coated the rolls. Cook at 300 40 min to 1.5 hours. Check the rolls every so often to make sure there’s enough liquid in the pan… if not, add some tomato juice or beef stock.

OR

Make like a lasagna with the leaves acting as the pasta.

This is really easy for a casserole.
Take some of the tomato juice place it on the bottom of the pan.
Then add enough cabbage leaves to cover the bottom. Then place a layer of the rice meat mixture then repeat until you have none left.
Add the stewed tomatoes on top and the parmesan.

Either way it does seem to taste the same.

We like both varieties and they freeze well.
img_71873_0_59a5218b006264fb078deed4b5fd7b4e.jpg

I will post another pic later of the inside this just went in the oven.

Dang Diva Q...you always seem be making me hongry around heah:) Looks delicious. Think I will make the casserole version. Rolling them leaves is a pain in the booty. Ya know the old frugal pervert has a purty good recipe for cabbage rolls which calls for dumping a can of sour kraut over the top of the rolls. Course that prob wouldnt work too well with the Eyetalian motiff of your recipe. Guess that would have to be labled the Kraut version :LOL: Anyway I used to have a cookbook which had a recipe called Cedric's casserole in there. It very simple to make and it involved shredded raw cabbage layered up with a meat mixture then topped off with tomater sauce on top. The original recipe called for tomater soup I think..gag heave sputter...which I quickly turned into using tomater sauce. I think your recipe would work like this in casserole form without having to parboil the cabbage. Course parboiling might be less labor intensive than chopping it too. I just aint sure.

bigwheel

The raw cabbage casserole sometimes works. I just have not found it to be very consistent. Because of the different thickness pf the leaves you can end up with some crunchier parts. Like you I tried the tomato soup one OMgoodness that was awful. Never again will I do that.

I still like sauerkraut on my cabbage rolls but I like to fry the sauerkraut up a bit first with some extra onions and bacon.

yummy stuff

Whew your killing me here. Ya know come to thunk on it that Cedric's casserole did have some undercooked parts on most occasions. It's nice to chat with such an accomplished gourmet cook as yourself.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom