Corn Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Raine, thanks so much for this. I pulled it out of the oven 25 min ago and have eaten a quarter of it already. I'm cooking dinner for some people outside of Atlanta this evening. I thought I'd give this a try while no one is home. Now I just need to get it out of the casserole and trim it up to make it look good, like I haven't spent the last 15 min eating it.

I found just-picked Silver Queen this morning while shopping for this diiner. I bought 4 ears, shucked and silked them, and cut the kernels off. This came to a hair over 2 cups. To intensify the corn flavor and add to its natural sweetness I decided to saute it first.

I took one of the tablespoons of butter and melted it over medium heat. I sauteed the corn till it was getting brown in spots, then added a small shallot I'd minced (about 2 Tbls), 1/2 tsp of dried thyme, a couple pinches of salt, and a good pinch of ground white pepper ( a favorite with corn). When the corn was lightly browned all over and there was nice caramelization on the bottom of the pan I deglazed with 1 Tbls cheap white wine scraping the pan bottom to dissolve all the brown bits. I let the wine evaporate entirely, added more salt to make it a bit on the salty side (figuring that the salt would diminish when it was added to the eggs and milk) and set the pan aside to cool.

I had only extra large eggs available so I used those, beating 2 lightly with a whisk then adding 2 Tbls of sugar and whisking very well. I whisked in the flour first to make sure it was well incorporated without lumps, then added the corn mix, the milk, and a very little grating of fresh nutmeg. I used an 8-inch rounded-corner square casserole with a foil cover.

I'll be making this again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom