Chipped Beef Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
1 Jar of Hormel Dried beef
Stick of Butter
1/2 Cup Flour
Milk (less than 1/2 Gallon)
1-2 Dashes of Worchestershire Sauce (secret ingredient/optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat, add flour a little at a time until you get a thick peanut butter texture.

Slowly add milk wisking constantly, do not rush this step or you'll have lumps. Once the mixture starts to bubble that will be as thick as it gets, so if it is too thick add a bit more milk. If it is too thin, make a slurry with a little milk and flour and add to the mixture to thicken.

Slice the beef into thin strips. (if you want less salt you may rinse the beef or buy low sodium dried beef). Add beef to gravy, add pepper and worchestershire sauce. Taste prior to adding salt, it will already be a bit salty.

Serve over bread, toast or biscuits.

Variation:

1 Large Jar of Hormel Dried beef
3 Tbls Butter
3 Tbls Flour
2 Cups Milk (heated)
Black Pepper to taste.
Hot Sauce to taste
1 Tbls Dry Sherry
Garnish with Paprika

Follow directions for Larry's. They are close enough, and I don't feel like typing. Add Sherry just before serving.

My mother used to mix that beef up with cream cheese and eat it in a sandwich.

Oddly enough, I hadn't thought of those little jars in years till someone told me about going to a party, and they were served as an appetizer.

Lay a slice of the beef out, spread a little cream cheese on it and lay a slice of green onion (she thinks that what it was) in the middle. roll it up and eat it. Sounds good. I might put a jap slice in there.

Back
Top Bottom